General Tyre wear

Currently reading:
General Tyre wear

Jon mabbitt

Hi i have got wear on the inside edges of both front tyres. I've had my tracking done and that's now fine could the wear be due to the shock absorbers or is there another cause
Thanks
Jon

Its usually down to tracking, some people adjust the tracking away from Fiat specifications, and this helps. I've had it on all my 3 previous multis...
Havent got time to do a search, but you either need more "toe out" or more "toe in"....my memory is frazzled...

Check the wishbone bushes and the track rod ends for wear or free play before gatting the wheel alignment done. As MA says, many owners advocate having the toe-in set to 0 degrees (Fiat factory setting is 2 degrees toe-out, I think). Doing that does affect the steering 'feel' though.

A few years ago I has the same problem and got my local garage, who I've used for years, to do a proper 4 wheel alignment. The mechanic told me that he'd gone for 0 degrees on the front wheels and also made sure that the front and back wheels were parallel as he reckons that this is generally best for cars (he's been in the business 30 plus years).

Since then I've never had a set of tyres noticeably wearing unevenly, even after having the front and rear shocks and springs done last year.

I'd recommend spending the little bit extra having proper 4 wheel alignment done and get the front wheels set at 0 degrees, cheaper than replacing tyres halfway through their life!

Back