Technical Tires and Pressures etc.

Currently reading:
Technical Tires and Pressures etc.

My X1/9 came with non standard tires fitted on the orginal rims.

They are Yokohama 185/60R13 (steel belt radial)

Max load 1045lbs at 36PSI

Now Because the car was resprayed the original tire placard in not on the car.

Looking in the Haynes Book I have and the Fiat X1/9 five speed Owners manual I bought online I thought that the following is true.

Tires are 165/70 SR-13 and should be inflated 28lbs front 29 lbs rear.

Are these tires OK. They are 20 cm wider than the original and lower profile also.

They also state 36lbs max inflation. Gee.

Should I go back to original size tires and pressures?

Should I use less pressure than 36lbs in the current ones given that the car is not a heavy car or does this not matter its the tires that matter. Certainly at say 32 lbs pressure the tire walls are too flexible and the car does not handle as well.

Are they dangerous size?

Regards

Keith

Oddly enough, those are the exact tires on my X and one or more are out-of-round or otherwise defective. I had them balanced for the trip home from where the car was stored but it only resulted in a small improvement and at 90 MPH the vibration is lessened but I suspect it is only due to the suspension's inability to react quickly enough.
My previous X ('80) was sold in '95 and I have just replaced it with a lo-miles '87.
I was somewhat aware that 13" wheels were about gone but when I looked for a set to replaced the out-of-round Yokohamas, I found my favorites, Pirelli, no longer sold in the US in that size and the Falkens are discontinued in that rim size as well.

What are you guys running?

Steve Allison

Back