Technical Timing Belt Break

Currently reading:
Technical Timing Belt Break

Mando

Hi dear FIAT Forum members, today I was driving my 2004 Fiat Siena 1.4 and suddenly the engine shut off at low speed I was maneuvering around a parked car, I turned the key and the car started normally, I moved a small distance and parked the car to do my shopping, after returning I started the car but it didn't work, I can hear the engine cranking but it won't operate after, I don't know if this was wrong but I kept on trying to start the car I turned the key alot and stayed holding it there for a while, then I looked below the engine bay and found small pieces of what seems to be rubber belt pieces and decided from here not to start the car and towed the car to a workshop I used to deal with.

There we found that the alternator belt snapped so badly (It happened to me in the past too and I even made a thread about it) but this time it found it's way to the timing belt as the mechanic there said and break it too, both belts were replaced along with the power steering pump belt (I don't use the a/c so I already removed the a/c compressor belt in the past) now the car engine is working but I need to know how can I be sure that the engine was not affected badly, I can hear the engine idling with making a sound as if the pistons is slapping that same sound heard from overloaded trucks when idling that have hard worked engines, the sound is accompanied by high exhaust sound which was occurring before the whole incident, the mechanic told me that the engine is good and I'm just paying attention more than before and that sound was old/normal, he did a fast test and removed the spark plug wire of each of the 4 spark plugs one at a time and said that the car is good except for 1 spark plug, and he said that this spark plug will do it's job and return normal when I just drive the car, What was this test all about ? and Is what he's saying right and the problem get resolved on it's own ?

Today I started the car and heard that poor engine sound again some knocking ad shaking I believe , I moved a small distance, I lowered my speed to take the speed bump and all of a sudden the car engine shut off, I started the car and it worked but the engine sound is not as before (I can feel it's suffering, which is killing me, should I stop driving or take the car to the mechanic to remove the head and check for internal engine issues/damages), [here the mechanics can do the job well but they lack the knowledge according to him I should drive], I parked to check on the belts and found nothing weird but just those terrible shakes and sounds from the engine, I decided finally no to get on the highway specifically because my mother was with me and decided to return back and park the car and took my late father's car instead

From what I believe that the test he's done was a compression test for the engine but just with his hands no measuring devices was used which is so wrong, and maybe the car engine shuts because the compression inside the cylinders (I don't know which one maybe all 4) is poor, and this showed at low rpm when I was driving over the speed bump, I cant recall I was pressing or releasing the brake pedal at that moment but I think I was pressing it which makes it sound as if the brake booster/servo drew some air from the engine and that made it even more with less compression, however the car was traveling at high speed 140 km/h down the highway after replacing the belts yesterday which implies that the compression is not so poor at that time

Please help me I need an advice should I drive the car or should I do a proper engine compression test before removing the cylinder head and the valve cover ?

Last edited:
Check the coil pack (2 coils). It can also cause car to shudder, and cut out. You will get ignition warning light.

Back