Technical The (bottom) END???

Currently reading:
Technical The (bottom) END???

jonti

We're getting there
The moaning has gone (think it WAS the PS belt) but the vibration feedback/rumbling sound IS GETTING WORSE ! My hunch is a bottom end bearing is OTWO. :eek:

Shame as 4 new Magnetti struts have TRANSFORMED the car. Eats BMW Compacts for breakfast then spits them out. :yuck:

:tempt:
So I have a spare TD bottom end from a Forum member ex Fiat training in Slough. It's immaculate still with a bar code on. But alot of rust in the coolant chambers and it may have been used alot or a little (does anyone know how these r used?). But can't do all the fitting plus hassle moving it/car around/taking off and affixing current head etc.

I repeat to myself everyday that I like Stilos, well from the front at least, and they ARE the last Fiat !! The new Bravo is an Astra clone. Plus they're cheap........ :yum:

Re: The (bottom) END??? - IN

........Ok you've persuaded me. The new engine goes in the Tipo.

Can anyone help me with the following questions.

Do movable engine hoists allow you to lift the engine upwards and out that way - or would you normally drop it on to the floor? (I will be taking off the cyl head first).

Do I need a balance bar?

Is it easy? Haynes list about 27 stages :eek: erm Lindsay Porter about 6 !!! E.g. does the fan really need to come out as well?

Are there any potential showstoppers/tricky bits? Is it easier to take the gearbox out stilll connected?

Any wisdom/experience gratefully received.

Cheers

Jonti

Hey jonti, Problems again eh?? Poor old you... Not having much luch this year are you!!
well her are a few pointers, the hoist will should be fully movable to raise the engine high enough to clear the car, its not a hard job to do really , they say remove the rad simply because if the engine swings and hits it then you need another, so best to be safe really, You wont need a balance bar i shouln't have thort, and why not leave the head on and dissasemble when all is out? Cos when you take the head off ther is less anchorage for the hoist,
Are you leaving the gearbox in or taking it all out in one???

I got the same thing to do on bank holiday weekend!!!
Don't want a digi-dash do ya?
Darren

Dazzo
Fab - anything else I should deffo take out - e.g. the battery???

Is it easiest to take the gearbox out with the engine or leave it in?

Where/how do you attach the anchor points to the head?

Fiat training reckon the engine is totally unused. So if this swap works, the car will carry on for a while longer, and there are a number of spares I need......

Cheers
J

Dazzo
Fab - anything else I should deffo take out - e.g. the battery???

Is it easiest to take the gearbox out with the engine or leave it in?

Where/how do you attach the anchor points to the head?

Fiat training reckon the engine is totally unused. So if this swap works, the car will carry on for a while longer, and there are a number of spares I need......

Cheers
J
You can take the engine out through the top with gearbox attached, or remove it with subframe from underneath.
If there is no hoist eye attached to the head, then you need to even the chains or rope to lift the engine. Common sense prevails here.

Andy.:)

Wot if I don't have any common sense??? :D

My worry is lifting the weight of the cast iron engine by only attaching to extrusions on the fragile alloy cyl head. Maybe the 2 cam bearings will support the weight...but from what you are saying with ropes you can wrap round various items inc water pump, tensioners, manifolds, cam bearings to spread the load?

Cheers

Wot if I don't have any common sense??? :D

My worry is lifting the weight of the cast iron engine by only attaching to extrusions on the fragile alloy cyl head. Maybe the 2 cam bearings will support the weight...but from what you are saying with ropes you can wrap round various items inc water pump, tensioners, manifolds, cam bearings to spread the load?

Cheers
Thats the one. Triangulate the rope from hoist. Its easier to remove with gearbox off, but not that difficult to tilt the engine out.

Andy.:)

Back