the absolute importance of wearing a seatbelt

Currently reading:
the absolute importance of wearing a seatbelt

turboned said:
are they the ones that swivel around so all the chairs face inwards etc? coooooooool!
Yeah!

We would have got that option, but we needed 7 seats :( instead, our front 2 seats swivel right round, and you can make the middle row of seats into a table.

I was talking to a chap the other day about seat belts (exciting life hey!). His arguement was that we are increasingly being told what we can and can't do in our lives by a nanny state. My dearly departed Uncle held the same view, it should be his choice whether he wears a belt or not and as an adult maybe he is right, if the only person that can be injured is him surely it is his choice and his life. On the otherhand is it fair on the people or NHS who have to come and scrap him off the road or operate to save his life when he doesn't. Many of the older generation grew up in the days where there were fewer rules, you didn't need to take a test to drive a car, you were allowed to drive as fast as you likd on a motorway, you didn't have to wear a seatbelt, you could smoke in the office.....

My view is that the seatbelt law is obviously sensible and has saved many lives; I wouldn't let my son ride in the car without suitable restraint. The mobile phone law in reality is also sensible, but I can see why some people object to the increasing invasion of their lives by politicians.

Last edited:
thepottleflump said:
The mobile phone law in reality is also sensible, but I can see why some people object to the increasing invasion of their lives by politicians.

Yes, the same adults that normally whinge about civil liberties being taken away from them are often the same adults that behave like spoilt children and cause the laws to be made in the first place... :rolleyes:

1986Uno45S said:
Yes, the same adults that normally whinge about civil liberties being taken away from them are often the same adults that behave like spoilt children and cause the laws to be made in the first place... :rolleyes:

Well that must mean that Me, PNL, Helz and quite a few other mmbrs act like spoilt children as we are always going on about civil liberties:eek: . If it was not for people LIKE us standing up for our rights and freedom of speech before too long things like forums would be against the law(n) .
I understand what youre trying to say 1986 uno, but i feel that your choice of diction could be read the wrong way:chin: . Please dont get the likes of us mixed up with anarchistic trouble stirrers.(y) :hug:

I'm actually grateful for a lot of these laws. I look at it from the angle that not everyone is as intelligent as us and needs a little bit of guidance. Tell them not to do something but with no consequence and they'll do it anyway because they're 'special'. Check out crazydave's thread for a fine example ;)

Don't get me wrong Matt68, I certainly wasn't intending my comment to be aimed at anyone on the forum in particular. The majority of people using the forum are good people, with the exceptions of those that commit crimes/ traffic offences and still think they shouldn't be punished!

My point was that there are too many people in the world who think they have the RIGHT to do what they want, regardless of any laws or people they affect in the process. The group of lowlife in the UK known as 'Chavs' springs to mind... Then when they get reprimanded about it they go away wailing about their civil liberties being taken away.

Put it this way, if everyone behaved as they should and lived life showing consideration to others then there would be no need for such laws to be brought in. But because a minority think they can abuse their freedom at the expense of others, laws have to be made to protect us all.

Like Helz, I'm glad some laws are in place no matter how inconvenient they may be.

As always, it's always a group of minorities that spoil it for the majority. And it's the minorities that often make the most noise and protests when hauled up about their misdemeanors.

Of course, every UK citizen has the right to object to having their freedom taken away, however, sometimes one needs to take a step back and realise that if some laws were taken away then the minorities would then have the freedom to infringe on OUR civil liberties in other ways.

One example would be to allow hand held mobile phones to be allowed whilst driving. That would be a form of freedom for the citizens. But suppose someone driving whilst using their phone crashed into the side of your car and seriously injured you? Your right to be an able bodied person would have been taken away because of someone elses 'right' to choose.

And someone choosing NOT to wear a seatbelt could end up splattering themselves all over the bonnet/ road in the event of a crash. Their choice some might say, their freedom to choose that risk. But what about the choice of the Police who have to attend the scene and report the outcome (might even be death) to the relatives? What about the Paramedic who has to console the injured, pick up bits of bodies or attempt difficult treatment to a seriously injured person? What about their right to not have an excessive work load and stress that could have been avoided had the person involved been wearing their seatbelt? What about the cost of treating serious injuries
on the NHS? What about the right of the taxpayer to not have to fund expensive NHS treatment that could have been avoided?

Because of all this, my belief is that most laws are just and are there for a reason. We just have to look at both sides of the argument to see why they are made in the first place.

Last edited:
Helz said:
I'm actually grateful for a lot of these laws. I look at it from the angle that not everyone is as intelligent as us and needs a little bit of guidance. Tell them not to do something but with no consequence and they'll do it anyway because they're 'special'. Check out crazydave's thread for a fine example ;)

(y) (y) (y)

Back