Technical Temp gauge flicks 0-full 3 times, not working

Currently reading:
Technical Temp gauge flicks 0-full 3 times, not working

Hello there,
I am afraid it is the problem that has been covered before. My temperature gauge on my 2000 Scudo 2.0JTD stopped working but displays the flicking from 0 to full 3 times when switching on. It then stays fully to the left. I also get the stop light flashing briefly and sometimes coming on. Switching off and re starting extinguishes the stop light. The engine is not overheating and is running fine. I have read that the double relay may be the culprit but I can't find it. The glow plug relay is on the driver's side inner wing but no other relay seems to be there. On the passenger side there is just the fuel pump relay. The problem occurred out of the blue after the van had stood for 2 or 3 weeks. It is starting fine.
If anyone can suggest where I may find the double relay or have any other suggestions, I will be very grateful.
Alternatively, is there any reason why I shouldn't just run a separate temperature gauge from the sensor (new) after calibrating it please?
Thank you,
Richard.

Hello Callum
I tried all sorts of things. I stripped and cleaned the fuel pump relay which I think is the one referred to in earlier posts (don't get why that would affect it) all to no avail.
I bought an excellent cheap Bluetooth obd2 adapter, put torque lite on my phone and monitored the temp with that. No problem with overheating so decided to just use that. Out of the Blue the gauge started working again!! Has been for a few weeks now so I don't know what caused it.
If you want I can tell you where I got the obd2 adapter from. I just put my phone in the holder and left it running with the large temp gauge, in Torque lite running.
You can also have all sorts of real-time gauges on. Very useful and interesting.
Message me if you want the supplier and a link to the software.
Cheers
Richard

Back