Tech advice - Win7 shopping problem

Currently reading:
Tech advice - Win7 shopping problem

imported_richard33dees

Established member
Hi guys and gals,

Hopefully you's can offer some assistance here. I bought his (black) and hers (red) Acer 5742 laptops running windows 7 home premium edition. Both laptops were setup together with the exact same software. Were using Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 for anti-virus stuff.

Problem is, mine works fine but the wifes won't allow her to shop Whilst she thinks I've done this on purpose, I assure you I haven't. I've been through all the settings on both machines and there identical. Using both IE8 and Chrome have the same problem.

Anyone had a similar issue or know of anything I could check to fix it?

Many thanks,

Rich

it really has to be a block on an encrypted connection or session if its just shopping related, maybe its an outside programme like anti virus software rather than a browser setting? that's explain why it does it on both IE and Chrome

Are both laptops brand new, never been used? Just I've heard of refurbed tech sometimes being passed of as new and there being software on it the new owner doesn't know about as a result.

Does indeed sound odd as you say that both laptops have been set up in the same way and yet there's nothing obvious that points to the reason why these sites are restricted. Have you looked in the process window for example to see what's running when the sites are trying to be accessed? Not sure of course if that would point out the offending software as it could as mentioned be part of something your running normally that's perhaps somehow been overlooked.

On day of purchase Gill's one was brand new in both the outer and inner boxes. My original one only came in the inner box and due to the keys falling off was promptly returned, as you say this could have been a refurb being passed off as new. I made sure the replacement I received came in the outer box too.

I've been through the settings side by side in the browser settings and can't see a difference in the two. Saying that, the only difference is that Gill's kaspersky has the licence key in-putted and mines does't. I'm still running the trial edition till I cba'd to input the licence key.

I think I'm going to have to reboot it from scratch :(

Some tech programmes I watch say the only way to make sure a new computer starts off well is to do a clean install of the OS straight from the off. Obviously not always practical if you've not got a Windows or other OS CD, but can see the benefits - removal of bloatware and such.

It may well sort out the problems you're having, but it's obviously one of the more drastic solutions to the problem.

Certainly the problems I'm having with my PC are probably not software related. Considering it could be a failing power supply, which given it's a 5 year old Dell desktop, is a problem :/

muppet42 said:
Some tech programmes I watch say the only way to make sure a new computer starts off well is to do a clean install of the OS straight from the off. Obviously not always practical if you've not got a Windows or other OS CD, but can see the benefits - removal of bloatware and such.

It may well sort out the problems you're having, but it's obviously one of the more drastic solutions to the problem.

Certainly the problems I'm having with my PC are probably not software related. Considering it could be a failing power supply, which given it's a 5 year old Dell desktop, is a problem :/

Ah failing Hell desktops, I know that one well. Whilst our now redundant desktop has already had the motherboard replaced, since adding the wireless network card I never could get the error fixed. Good luck with it Rob, hopefully you'll have more luck with it than I did.

Well av gone down the restart option, by fook it's taking forever! Must be at least 4hours now since I started :(

Back