Technical Tailgate Lock

Currently reading:
Technical Tailgate Lock

Vito61

Hi

I've got a new shape, 2010, Cargo with a single, lift up tailgate. The issue is that I'm not able to use the handle/catch to open it. I can still use the key in the lock, fortunately.

I've tried stripping the door down from the inside, but quite difficult with the big external boot lid trim at the bottom.

I can't hear the lock working via the central locking if that's any sort of clue.

Any comments/help would be appreciated.

It is turning into an intermittent fault.

I've tried to expose the cable running from the door into the door frame but it seems pretty well wrapped and nothing obvious.

Just a another quick update.

The problem appears to have cured itself (probably start messing about again now).

I've no idea what's going on :confused:

I thought you'd all like to know....

It's doing it again.....

Back to using the key in the lock to open the door.

Any clues out there?

Also, how to release the interior panel on the tailgate?

Probably going to guess it will be the microswitch in the handle
Jumping either side of the switch with a short length of wire should confirm this cant help with the dismantling however but you'd probably need to get to the back of the handle to remove the bolts and remove the handle/switch mechanism

Hi All

Just bumping this up . I was just mooching about and found this old post of mine. Over 2 years old! Still not fixed, amazing what you get used to doing. I have to get into this door many times a day as I'm a window cleaner that uses the back all the time.

I guess I'm going to have to get on with this and remove the rear internal panel to have a good look at it.

Perhaps when I get back from holiday........

:)

Same problem with mine.
To solve the problem with it being intermittent I ran a length of picture hanging with from lever on switch up behind panel and when it doesn't work I just pull the wire and push open from inside !

If you can hear a clicking or any sound from the catch after pressing the switch, it won’t be the switch.
Most probably Brocken wire, where wire enters tailgate.
Or gear in electric latch, £6-12 of eBay.
Getting the tailgate switch off is a real pain in the ass, first inside rear panel off, not too bad a job, then the outside rear plastic trim has to come off, real real problem, all screws inside and rear corners, then plastic clips, I used a long socket to squeeze the fingers on the clips, then you can pull the panel part way open at the top, with a long broad screwdriver unclip the bottom plastic clips, yippee all done,
Hope this helps.

If you can hear a clicking or any sound from the catch after pressing the switch, it won’t be the switch.
Most probably Brocken wire, where wire enters tailgate.
Or gear in electric latch, £6-12 of eBay.
Getting the tailgate switch off is a real pain in the ass, first inside rear panel off, not too bad a job, then the outside rear plastic trim has to come off, real real problem, all screws inside and rear corners, then plastic clips, I used a long socket to squeeze the fingers on the clips, then you can pull the panel part way open at the top, with a long broad screwdriver unclip the bottom plastic clips, yippee all done,
Hope this helps.

Thanks for your comments. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm likely to have some spare time coming soon......

Darned virus.

Be careful out there

Mine's a 2006 model & I had similar after a few years. The mechanism that moves the locking part is a simple solenoid which, when energised (magnetised) is thrust forwards to operate the locking mechanism, very much akin to a simple 'ding dong' doorbell.
When manufactured, they slathered this all in grease which, over time, thickens - and is most noticeably affected in the colder weather. I accessed mine and sprayed plenty of lube to disperse the grease and then act as a lubricant. It's worked fine ever since.

Back