Technical sunroof

Currently reading:
Technical sunroof

Hi i have stilo abarth 2.4 on 2004. plate the sunroof wouldnt open so i gave it a good clean and opened it with the winder key and unblocked the drainage holes water runs through freely now, i can close it from the fob and ive done the resets etc still not opening off the fob but will close fine
any ideas or help would be appreciated thank you

My first port of call would be to check the switch. Apply a live direct to the power terminal and see if you have two lives out one for open and one for close. There are lots of possibles on this, but if you can wind it open and it closes it seems the mechanical side is probably OK. The switch is easiest item to test, and while it is out you can check the wires look good. If the wires are live when the switch is operated then it must be within the motor itsself. Like windscreen wipers there is a 'parked' position. It could be as simple as dirty contacts or a wire adrift. I have only ever had to mess about with a Renault but I am pretty sure there will be a lot of similarilty. If you can get at the motor and may be remove it I am sure you stand a very good chance that a check and clean will go a long way at worst this sounds like a broken contact/ wire.

My old Alfa 155 had a habit of opening but then not closing the sunroof, if the day was very hot.
It would work when it was cooler out, so I had to leave the car in the shade for a while before it would decide that the time for an open roof was past.

Eventually it got more troublesome and I had to wind it closed with the emergency key.. and investigate fixing it.

My problem was the relay on the motor itself. It worked to "open" all the time... but not always to "close".

The only bad news if it's the relay, is that it's a special (Webasto in my case) relay that is like rocking horse poo and even the dealer couldn't order one as they were out of production). Second hand one from a Lancia Dedra worked for me.... so look for a Bravo with a sunroof at the breakers - it may be the same relay.

Ralf S.

Back