General Sub in a Grande!!!

Currently reading:
General Sub in a Grande!!!

sssspiros

Hi i would like to share with you where i put my subwoofer in my grande.
Well i took the idea from factory fitted and i made one myself with polyester.
It's better i think.

here some pics

and i put the amp under the passenger seat

I second the comment above, needs a guide to go with it, do you get any rattle? You going to be doing the same to the other side? Plus can you run subs with the standard HU or is it just cheaper and better to get a different one?

Well i'll try to make a guide with photos.
I'm not going to do the same to the other side.
I have the factory fitted blaupunkt CD Mp3 with Blue&me.It has satisfying settings.
I also bought a 4 channel amp with high level input(this radio doesen't have rca output).
I changed the front speakers and connect them to the 1 and 2 channel of the amplifier and the subwoofer to the 3,4 channels bridged.
The subwoofer is 10".

Amp:Alpine PMX-F640
Subwoofer:RockfordFoasgate R1S410
front speakers: I don't remember the brand but i think they are about 80watt rms
These for now.

I like :-D you have done a very good job there.

1 question i do have though is, have you giver the sub enough Liter squared (dont no how to do the symbol) air space?

That's what I thought :/

If your using the standard HU are you using a hi-line input off the rear speakers? This is never a very strong signal. And if your splitting it using y-splitters (you said you were using a 4 channel) then the signal is going to be very weak.

Be careful not to underpower it as it will clip and the sub won't last too long. And make sure the box has the right internal volume for the sub.

I use the signal from the 4 speakers and i connect the rear speakers directly from the HU like using splitter cutting the wire in the middle.

Now for the internal volume of the box, when i was just before closing it, i measure it with water and i think that i got it.

Sorry but i have to find some time to make this guide and i didn't take photos from all of this.

Hi again.
First of all this is going to be difficult for someone who isn’t familiar with such things. You can also go to a car audio store that makes boxes and get over with it.
The things you will need (I might forget something):
Fiberglass
Polyester Fiberglass Resin
Additional Resin Hardener
MDF (For supports, and speaker rings)
Paintbrushes
Masking Tape
Aluminum Foil
Fleece Fabric(or old sheet)
Electric drill
electric saw
plastic gloves (that are used from doctors)
small containers with measure.
Small syringe
Hot glue gun

First you will work in your car trunk. You have to close the back seats. Take the masking tape and cover the area (and more) where you are going to put the box. Next take aluminum foil and put it over the masking tape. You can put it in pieces and join them with the tape. Also put additional cover at the rest of the trunk . At this point you have to be sure that everything is covered.

Next wear your gloves and take the polyester fiberglass resin and the hardener and make the polyester (the warehouse where you buy it will explain you how to make and use it). Try and make small amounts every time because if you leave it for sometime it’s going to be useless.
Cut the fiberglass in small pieces.

Next take the paintbrush and cover the aluminum with the polyester resin. Then put the pieces of fiberglass to cover the area. Continue putting polyester with the paintbrush. Put 3 layers of fiberglass and leave it for about 3 hours (maybe less) with windows and trunk open. At this step you must work at an open space as the resin is dangerous when you breathe it!
The procedure looks like this.

DSC00824.jpg

DSC00825.jpg

When it becomes dry and hard like plastic take it out. You can leave it and continue another day.
DSC00827.jpg

Take the box and place it on a table where you are going to work with it. Add more layers creating the edges,walls and making it deep. I put about 5-6 layers of fiberglass total. The more you add the heavyer and stronger becomes.

DSC00835.jpg

DSC00830.jpg

Then find the woofer that you’re goint to put. You have to know the size and the volume that works. When you know the volume take the box and fill it with water and measure with a bucket. Then mark the point where you reach the desired volume. Put the box in your car to see how it looks and draw a line to where you are going to cut it.

Take the electric saw and cut it. Remove any aluminum foil or tape. Don’t mind If some sticks on the box, you’re going to cover it. Now cut the ring at the desired dimentions and put it in the box like this.

DSC00840-1.jpg

DSC00841.jpg

You can try different ways to the car to see what it looks like. Make sure that the woofer fits well and there isn’t any problem.
Then take the fleece or your old sheet and close the box. Try to strech it and glue it.
Make more resin and spread with the paintbrush and add layers of fiberglass like doing before. Leave it to dry.

DSC00845.jpg

DSC00843.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

DSC00848.jpg

Then buy a carpet from a car audio store and glue it with adhesive glue.
Use the drill to make small holes for the bolts to screw the woofer to the box because the box is hard enough.
For the wiring I found the connectors from ebay.
When you close the box with the woofer put inside something like a sponge(from a pillow I think) as it is no good to leave it empty.
Finally to put it in the car I found bolts that are like hook on the back. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures from this step but if you remove the carpet from the side of the car you will find the spots to grab it.

DSC05457.jpg

DSC05456.jpg

DSC05455.jpg

I hope that with this I will help you making your own or getting some ideas.

good work mate!!

now deciding to do this or have one in the wheel well......

Back