Technical Strange ventilator fan issue

Currently reading:
Technical Strange ventilator fan issue

Xinelo

Hello everyone.

(2014 1.2L petrol Lounge model with AC, 47.000 kms)

Lately my ventilator fan has been starting sooner and works much more time than normal. On a normal trip on normal roads (it's winter here) at normal speeds and low RPMs or in the city the fan starts working and is on like 90% of the time. Before this problem it very rarely started. Also, there's a low, rumbling sound that accompanies it, but it does not come from the fan itself as I found out after replacing it (!). I can even feel this vibration that comes when the fan is working when driving, which is unheard of. Normally, you can hear it when you're idle, but not when driving.

To add more mistery to this, after a while of the fan starting (like 15 minutes or more, there's some fogging accumulation on the inside of the windshield, but only on the driver's side, and there's a strange smell, like an AC smell, or some chemical smell. All my climatization system is off. I have to open the windows, because if I turn the cabin fan air on, the smell gets more intense.

Mechanic told me it was probably the ventilator and ignored what I said about the fogging and replaced the fan (because it seemed to be a bit warped).
Yesterday I picked up the car and got on my way, and the same thing happened. Turns out it wasn´t the fan after all. Turns out he didn't test the car after replacing the fan...

During a traffic jam when I was testing the car yesterday, the engine temp rose one more notch than half, which I had never seen (and it's winter here). Keep in mind that I was careful and kept the car at low revs...

This is really mid-boggling to me because the engine temps seem to rise faster, making the fan start, and this creates a low, rumbling noise, and this also creates fogging (driver's side) and a strange smell on the inside of the car. Also, engine temps seems higher, because I can only imagine how this would be in the summer...

I'm taking it again to the mechanic Monday, but I´m posting here to see if I'm lucky and someone has any clues.
I'm going to try and check radiator coolant levels now.

Thanks for reading.

Check the radiator water level!!
Feel the carpets near the center console are they wet?
I suspect heater matrix failed
I don't know how to check it, I opened the cover but how can I know if the levels are ok? I didn´t see any liquid at the top. Is it suposed to be filled to the brim?
I will check if the floor is wet.
I don't know what is the heater matrix in portuguese, but I'll try to find out.

Thank you!

Just checked, carpets seemed dry.
Just read about what a Heater Matrix does and it makes sense that it could be a possible culprit.

Last edited:
Use a torch and shine through water tank to see level, no should not be brim full.
Our heater matrix failed, started with slight misting on screen, then more with a strong coolant smell that got worse and worse, when you start the car can you hear "water noises"?
Eventually the carpet was wet on the passenger side, drivers in your case.
The worry is the over temp, that strongly suggests low water.
Note if you have ac, any leaking coolant may run out of the ac drain and not onto the carpets?

Use a torch and shine through water tank to see level, no should not be brim full.
Our heater matrix failed, started with slight misting on screen, then more with a strong coolant smell that got worse and worse, when you start the car can you hear "water noises"?
Eventually the carpet was wet on the passenger side, drivers in your case.
The worry is the over temp, that strongly suggests low water.
Note if you have ac, any leaking coolant may run out of the ac drain and not onto the carpets?

I don't hear those water noises. I have AC, yes.
I'll check everything better tomorrow.

Thank you.

I don't hear those water noises. I have AC, yes.
I'll check everything better tomorrow.

Thank you.

I think your issues are AC..

You have an extra feature on the Radiator fans with AC

COOLANT: the yellow plastic Tube on the side of the Radiator has Min and Max markings

Shine a torch one side of the tube

Look Through the other side of the tube, you will see the Orange coolant

Problem apparently solved. Mechanic tested the coolant circuit and "it had air in it". I wonder how the air got in? o_O

Anyways, thank you for your input.

Agree with you John.
Air in the system means that at some point theres a leek/pressure drop! the O/P must keep a regular check on the coolant level( every journey id say!) and if(when) it drops again it needs a complete investigation as to why and where the coolant is going!.
I would also suggest that after any trip of more than 5 miles the O/P tries squeezing the radiator top hose to see if the system is pressurising normally! .
The symptoms here are almost exactly the same as what i experienced just prior to the thermostat heater matrix plastic pipe snapping off! and i would suggest that the O/P reads the threads regarding thermostat pipe failures and checks there own one A.S.A.P!

I think they tested the circuit for leaks and found none. Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye on temps and coolant levels now. Thanks for all the information.

Back