General Strange noise and smell

Currently reading:
General Strange noise and smell

PaulinePanda

As I drove across the car park at work yesterday I heard a noise that can best be described as the noise you get when loose grit/gravel on road hits against the cars paintwork, however the noise was coming from directly behind the front seats.
The car made the same noise a few times on the way home, which is when I noticed a smell, not offensive, just different.
I sniffed around the bonnet and the exhaust and couldn't smell anything but as soon as I opened the rear passenger doors the smell was very apparent (more so than when I was driving).

Any ideas?

As I drove across the car park at work yesterday I heard a noise that can best be described as the noise you get when loose grit/gravel on road hits against the cars paintwork, however the noise was coming from directly behind the front seats.
The car made the same noise a few times on the way home, which is when I noticed a smell, not offensive, just different.
I sniffed around the bonnet and the exhaust and couldn't smell anything but as soon as I opened the rear passenger doors the smell was very apparent (more so than when I was driving).

Any ideas?

hi,
obvious thing would be fuel pump, :idea:
lift up back seat, there is a black plastic cover,
with seat up,
turn cars ignition on there is normally a light HUMM,
if you get your gravelly crunching sound..you'll know, ;)

this MAY be of help;https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-mk1...mbly-replacement-punto-1-1-spi.html?p=4064777

Charlie

Last edited:
hi,
obvious thing would be fuel pump, :idea:
lift up back seat, there is a black plastic cover,
with seat up,
turn cars ignition on there is normally a light HUMM,
if you get your gravelly crunching sound..you'll know,

Charlie

If it makes any difference I drove the 5 miles to work this morning with no noise or smell, on the way back home, still no noise but in the last 2 mins of the journey the smell returned :confused:

Hi,
so - no noise, and a smell that seems to "build"?

can you TRY and describe the smell,
Chemical , HOT.. etc,

Charlie

A bit like something burning, but its not an offensive smell, it doesn't make you want to open every window, maybe overheating and hot is the best way to describe it.
It does seem to build, because yesterday evening I drove here there and everywhere and by the time i got home the smell was very apparent, but after driving home this morning it was just lightly in the air.Definitely no noise this morning.

not sure.., :eek:
maybe lift up seat base and put your hand on the plastic cover of fuel pump..,
is it HOT..?? does the smell get stronger :confused:

DO NOT smoke in car..;)

on the subject of heat, after your regular journey, walk around car and put your hand on the wall, then the wheel / wheel trim,
IF 1 is substantially hotter than the other 3 then it points to a HEAT issue, = rubbing brakes / poorly wheel bearing..worth a try..,

Charlie

Back