Technical Strange engine issue

Currently reading:
Technical Strange engine issue

Dr4gon44

Hi everyone,so i have a 2010 fiat ducato maxi minibus that i am converting to a camper. Just developed a strange issue, engine running (driving or in idle), plenty of diesel in tank (needle reading just under half a tank), needle suddenly drops to zero and 'empty' light flashing and engine starts stuttering as if running out of fuel ?*♂️. Engine off, back on again, needle back up, engine running fine.... does it again ?*♂️. Please help, i am completely stumped

A common factor is the cable form leading to the pump and gauge sender unit, in the fuel tank.

I have a somewhat vague recollection of a thread relating to cable damage close to the connecor on top of the tank. What I cannot remember, is whether the damage was caused by mechanical abrasion, or by vermin.

It may be worth eliminating the possibility of damage in this area, by removing the pump access panel in the LH cab floor, and checking the wiring. At the same time ensure that the connector is fully inserted.

boa noite, Ducato 2.8 ano 2009, acelero parada ate alguns RPM e o veiculo norre, corta o negativo do relé da bomba de baixa, proveniente esse negativo da ECU, alguém ja conseguiu desvendar esse problema? o DTC é p0191 somente este. por favor me ajudem...

Last edited:
A common factor is the cable form leading to the pump and gauge sender unit, in the fuel tank.

I have a somewhat vague recollection of a thread relating to cable damage close to the connecor on top of the tank. What I cannot remember, is whether the damage was caused by mechanical abrasion, or by vermin.

It may be worth eliminating the possibility of damage in this area, by removing the pump access panel in the LH cab floor, and checking the wiring. At the same time ensure that the connector is fully inserted.

Thank you for your reply. Actually after checking under that panel i discovered one of the cables wasn't pushed down to a 'click' which i did. When i next ran the engine and just sat in idle, the issue happened again but it actually made an audible sound as if the connector had 'popped' off again. I havent yet had a chance to recheck but i will do that today, if its come up again then that could well be the issue. Will report back later. Thanks again for your help

I have this exact same issue with my 3ltr maxi. Engine has a slit miss fire under load and drops to 3 cylinders with the fuel gauge drop and empty light flashing. Flick key off and on again ( even when driving along!) And all back to normal but with engine light on ! Till it does it next time . Code says injector no4 low voltage every time. Yet to find a solution!

Hi Pete, thank god its not just me then. So this may not be anything to do with the issue, but the connector that i found under the access panel in the cab, that seemed to not be clicked down, when i start the engine it pops back up again (not off) and with the engine running if you push down on it to click it back down again, it won't stay down and feels 'under pressure'. I need to find out somehow if that is normal of it should always stay 'clicked' in place. There are no signs of any damage etc to any of the cables

Checked the plug on top of my fuel pump today and all seems fine.
You have to pull up the little yellow clip to be able to then push the clip on the plug in for the plug to then be able to pull off completely. Does yours have the little yellow clip on it ??
I Checked wires and plug 9n mine and all seems fine.
But my wife has gone away in the van today and on the drive up to Devon she has reported that its still the same as before but only when at slow speed when pulling away in traffic.?!!
Need to get to the bottom of this one as it's clearly a common issue

Hi,

The following relates to my x244, but there is probably a similar connector on earlier,x230, and later x250 vehicles. Worth a look?

I have found a connector, D145, which also carries the fuel lift pump supply, and the fuel level gauge wires.

This connector is a 6 pole Delphi hybrid with poles 3 & 4 being larger than the outer poles. On my vehicle it is colour coded orange, with a yellow latching device. Location is below the air filter. I have found it possible to get sight of the connector by squinting inboard of the air filter, and infront of the air filter outlet. Much better view and access from underneath the vehicle.

Hi,

The following relates to my x244, but there is probably a similar connector on earlier,x230, and later x250 vehicles. Worth a look?

I have found a connector, D145, which also carries the fuel lift pump supply, and the fuel level gauge wires.

This connector is a 6 pole Delphi hybrid with poles 3 & 4 being larger than the outer poles. On my vehicle it is colour coded orange, with a yellow latching device. Location is below the air filter. I have found it possible to get sight of the connector by squinting inboard of the air filter, and infront of the air filter outlet. Much better view and access from underneath the vehicle.

Thanks for the info. Something to look at tomorrow.
I found all the loom earth points behind the Passengers side headlight as an earth issue was suggested. They didn't look to good to be honest. So I've moved them to a more accessible position.

Attachments

• IMG-20210820-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20210820-WA0009.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-20210820-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20210820-WA0008.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 20
Hi,

I was underneath my vehicle yesterday evening, looking at the gear change linkage, with a view to preventative lubrication as described by Crossingkeeper a while back.

Then I noticed an inadequately supported corrugated pvc cable conduit. I realised that it must contain the wires leading to the fuel pump / level sensor. As the conduit passes over the front axle, it will be subject to vibration with any roughness of the road surface. If I was having the problems mentioned in this thread, I would include a fault in the cable, as a possible cause.

I have resolved to reroute the cable as a preventative measure, and will try to take some photos.

Here are the before and after photos of the cable leading to the fuel pump and level gauge sensor.

With the original installation, the cable conduit was very loose, and resting on both part of the chassis, and the hydraulic pipe leading to the clutch slave cylinder.

I unplugged connector D145 under the air filter, and managed to remove the barbed plastic anchor fixing it to a support bracket. Reattached after removing a half turn around the clutch hydraulic pipe. Cable to brake pad wear contact removed from convenient cable clip, and replaced by pump cable. Brake pad cable, secured to pump cable with a cable tie.

Worth doing? Probably not, unless like me you like wiring to look tidy.

Attachments

• IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
Back