Technical Stop Start unavailable - clutch pedal switch

Currently reading:
Technical Stop Start unavailable - clutch pedal switch

So got a few really annoying issues with this 8 year old 500C 1.2
Well at 55000miles it drives very very well, but the usual Fiat gremlins are beginning to appear.

The clutch pedal has a later type sensor/switch from the earlier type, that breaks and needs welding back or replacing.

If I don´t press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor on changing gear, the dashboard brings up the stop start unavailable error.

MultiECUscan, tells me that the fault is with the clutch pedal switch, but the test of the two stage switch works fine.

Drive the car, depressing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor on every gear change - no error messages.
Forget once on a quick change and the error appears straightaway.

Also I notice from the MultiECUScan software that the climate control is registering an earth fault on a motor or potentiometer.
At the moment the climate control functions fine, except it won´t move the vents from the face level to the footwell, without going to the screen first.
It falls on the learning function also.

Any thoughts please?

At the moment the climate control functions fine, except it won´t move the vents from the face level to the footwell, without going to the screen first. It falls on the learning function also. Any thoughts please?

If you want to scare yourself, search this forum for the climate control blend door issue.

If you want to scare yourself, search this forum for the climate control blend door issue.

Oh I am not too worried, this car owes me nothing... It´s just in mint cosmetic condition, as I brought it to Spain when we moved and it sat under cover for 2 years doing minimal mileage.

At 3 1/2 years old WEBUYANYCAR offered me £6000 before we moved, I originally picked it up from Fiat Watford at 2 1/2 years old for £7500 with 8500miles on the clock.

Funny thing is, the second hand car market here is tiny, so if it was a LHD car - the 500C Sport at 8 years old and 85000kms is still worth €8-9000 here.

I keep it ticking over and its a fun drive - but its worthless here and it owes me nothing..

what is the "blend door issue"?:D

what is the "blend door issue"?:D

Oh I see, I was under the impression that later (2012 onwards) cars where better?

Anyhow I aware the climate control if it fails, basically writes off this car!

I was planning on replacing it with a Toyota or SEAT Ibiza on the first major repair job needed, but part of me was thinking on buying the replacement 2nd car anyway and keeping the Fiat to tinker with!

With the onset of the Stop Start error, the clutch was squeaking - I cured this by popping the dust shield off the clutch slave cylinder and sprayed silicon lubricant in whilst someone was operating the clutch... worked a treat.

Last edited:
Anyhow I aware the climate control if it fails, basically writes off this car!

It writes off the HVAC, not the car.

So long as you don't mind opening the windows in summer, and wearing a warm coat in winter, the rest of the car will keep working just fine.

At least you'll have a true retro experience; back in the 1950's, most cars had neither A/C nor cabin heating. If the climate control unit does pack up, just think of your 500 as a time machine.

Last edited:
It writes off the HVAC, not the car.

So long as you don't mind opening the windows in summer, and wearing a warm coat in winter, the rest of the car will keep working just fine.

At least you'll have a true retro experience; back in the 1950's, most cars had neither A/C nor cabin heating. If the climate control unit does pack up, just think of your 500 as a time machine.

HaHa :D NO

It's 31C here currently - It basically writes off the car from my point of view.

Having owned a TwinAir from new and this 500C from 2 years old... I loved them when they were new, but they went off very quickly.
Both cars have had the front suspension rebuilt and 2 sets of rear shocks each. I sold the TwinAir at 5 years old, 60000miles and the front suspension was clonking and needed looking at again.

They both had cosseted lives and money spent when needed. but there is no longevity there - This TwinAir was £17500 when new!

Last edited:
Back