Technical Stilo 1.6 coolant temperature

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo 1.6 coolant temperature

tasicss

I need the help!

I have problem with Stilo 1.6 16v, temperature of the engine increases fast about 5 minutes driving, outside temperature is 11c and indicator exceed middle line (literally jump to the line in front of the red field) after that radiator fan go to second speed, but real temperature of coolant is much smaller than shown in dash, coolant hose is lukewarm not hot. Also happen temperature indicator varies. Where the problem, ECU or coolant temperature sensor?

Thanks for reply!

I need the help!

I have problem with Stilo 1.6 16v, temperature of the engine increases fast about 5 minutes driving (outside temperature is 11c) and indicator exceed middle line (literally jump to the line in front of the red field) after that radiator fan go to second speed, but real temperature of coolant is much smaller than shown in dash, coolant hose is lukewarm not hot. Also happen temperature indicator varies. Where the problem, ECU or coolant temperature sensor?

Thanks for advance!

Re: Temperature problem (1.6 16V)

I don't think this is the sensor because it shows the car heats up normally (to the regular 90C mark.. not way over or way under) when there is no airflow through the radiator .. either in slow traffic or when the car is stopped altogether.

Additionally, the temperature needle falls a little when the heater fan is switched on or the road speed increases (both of which provide additional cooling to the system) as you would expect.

It's most likely a thermostat problem.

Ralf S.

OK thanks, i will try with changing thermo sensor, but many posts on internet say ECU is bad, need reparation or new one. Wires from thermosensor going directrly to ECU pins 36 and 45 on connector B

Attachments

• ETC_1_616v.png
    ETC_1_616v.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 257
The gauge agrees with the ECU though... so the options are;

1) Your ECU receives the correct temperature information from the (working correct) temperature sensor.... but because the ECU has a fault it mis-reads the temperature, turns the fan on and also passes this now incorrect information to the temperature gauge inside the instrument console...

Or;

2) The sensor has a fault and is sendng the wrong information to the temperature gauge and the ECU... both of which respond correctly as/if though the engine was too hot.

If the ECU pushes information to the gauge, then it could be the first option... but usually gauges get information from the sensor, not the ECU.

Ralf S.

The gauge agrees with the ECU though... so the options are;

1) Your ECU receives the correct temperature information from the (working correct) temperature sensor.... but because the ECU has a fault it mis-reads the temperature, turns the fan on and also passes this now incorrect information to the temperature gauge inside the instrument console...

Or;

2) The sensor has a fault and is sendng the wrong information to the temperature gauge and the ECU... both of which respond correctly as/if though the engine was too hot.

If the ECU pushes information to the gauge, then it could be the first option... but usually gauges get information from the sensor, not the ECU.

Ralf S.

Definatley sounds like engine coolant temp sensor...
It could be the ECU tho... the 1.6 is the worst for ECU problems due to where it sits in the engine bay

Re: Temperature problem (1.6 16V)

I don't think this is the sensor because it shows the car heats up normally (to the regular 90C mark.. not way over or way under) when there is no airflow through the radiator .. either in slow traffic or when the car is stopped altogether.

Additionally, the temperature needle falls a little when the heater fan is switched on or the road speed increases (both of which provide additional cooling to the system) as you would expect.

It's most likely a thermostat problem.

Ralf S.

Bang on! - sounds like the thermostat is stuck open.
Mine is currently stuck open at the moment, not the best for the cold weather we have had latley, i tend to let the car warm up for 10mins before i go out.

All is fine with a open thermostat in summer or a one that opens later however, in winter - we should have a good thermostat that opens a little earlier... its just finding the time and wanting to get my hands dirty - dont see much point seen as im looking for a nice bravo by April / May...

Today dissconect and again connect both connectosr on ECU, i think works normaly but outside temperature is low 7c i will try tomorrow (I hope it will be a warm day) and reporting what happen (y)

Back