Technical Steering rack / steering issues (169 4x4)

Currently reading:
Technical Steering rack / steering issues (169 4x4)

Hi all.

At the weekend Clifford had decided to gain consciousness and choose where we were steering 😂.

In all seriousness, it yanked me to the left, and then to the right. Once I corrected and got us back going straight, I'd noticed the wheel was crooked, at about a 45 degree angle.

From there I was getting the hill holder unavailable warnings & whenever I steered left, I'd get a TERRIBLE clunking, crunching, grinding noise.

When you'd turn from straight (at 45 degree) to actually straight , the wheels did nothing at all, but as soon as you went beyond that to actually left, is when I'd get all the issues.

It was intermittent, sometimes the steering would snap back into place almost, so sometimes straight was at 45 degrees, and other times straight was... Straight !

Needless to say it's gone straight to the mechanic to diagnose it, but it sounds like a steering rack to me.

Has anyone ever had experience with replacing these, mainly curious on the full cost to be honest ! And if the 4x4 needs a specific rack, or will any of the 169 power racks do?

Could it be a case of the actual power steering column going too?

I'm trying to anticipate best I can, how much my wallet will suffer.

Thanks!

I had that with issue with my MK2 Punto Sporting, it was the electric motor for the power steering, changed under extended warranty (lucky me) and the issue never reappeared. Sounded like grinding teeth and was ‘snatching’ the wheel

I had that with issue with my MK2 Punto Sporting, it was the electric motor for the power steering, changed under extended warranty (lucky me) and the issue never reappeared. Sounded like grinding teeth and was ‘snatching’ the wheel
That's what I think, I just hope whatever it is, is the cheapest thing that could've broke ! 😂

Hi all.

In all seriousness, it yanked me to the left, and then to the right. Once I corrected and got us back going straight, I'd noticed the wheel was crooked, at about a 45 degree angle.

So to go in a straight line the steering wheel is now 45 degrees to where it was a few second before. Something has to have bent, badly worn or broken
From there I was getting the hill holder unavailable warnings & whenever I steered left, I'd get a TERRIBLE clunking, crunching, grinding noise.
You should not continue driving the car, It does not sound safe and possible causing more damage
When you'd turn from straight (at 45 degree) to actually straight , the wheels did nothing at all, but as soon as you went beyond that to actually left, is when I'd get all the issues.
Turning a steering wheel 45 degrees without any output has confirmed it a serious fault
It was intermittent, sometimes the steering would snap back into place almost, so sometimes straight was at 45 degrees, and other times straight was... Straight !

Needless to say it's gone straight to the mechanic to diagnose it, but it sounds like a steering rack to me.
Yes

It not unknown for them to fail, usally after an accident, pot hole.

There are other causes, inner tie rod for example,
Has anyone ever had experience with replacing these, mainly curious on the full cost to be honest ! And if the 4x4 needs a specific rack, or will any of the 169 power racks do?

Could it be a case of the actual power steering column going too?

I'm trying to anticipate best I can, how much my wallet will suffer.

Thanks!
Both the rack and column has unique part number for the 4x4, I don't know what the differences are

Last edited:
So to go in a straight line the steering wheel is now 45 degrees to where it was a few second before. Something has to have bent, badly worn or broken

You should not continue driving the car, It does not sound safe and possible causing more damage

Turning a steering wheel 45 degrees without any output has confirmed it a serious fault

Yes

It not unknown for them to fail, usally after an accident, pot hole.

There are other causes, inner tie rod for example,

Both the rack and column has unique part number for the 4x4, I don't know what the differences are
Just to confirm for you, when this happened luckily I was less than a mile from my mechanic, so I went straight there with hazards at 20mph.

I take my safety & the safety of others very seriously so wouldn't have risked driving it any further ! 🙂

I never hit anything, the steering wasn't because I'd hit a curb or something, it just went ! It's been a bit noisy ever since I got it (so thought it was standard for an older car) so I think it has just worn out.

There's massive potholes where I live (and potholes in the middle of bends too) so I wouldn't be surprised if going on that road a few times a week has affected the car.

Thanks for your input , I'll be sure to let my mechanic know that the 4x4 has seperate part numbers. 🙂

Back