Technical Starter motor 'refurb'

Currently reading:
Technical Starter motor 'refurb'

Hi all,

Anyone else done this? Currently on a tea break and checking the kids have left the house intact, but booger me, it's a bit of a job. The kind Haynes would use that giveaway word 'Simply' somewhere on.....

Got it up on axle stands and doing most of the work from underneath as practically the whole intake would have to come off to do the job from the top.

The bracket holding the free end onto the engine was a bit of a surprise, as was having to take the front pipe off to get the bloody starter out and into the garage!

Reason for the work is it's 'whirling' on run-down, you know - the squeaky noise when you let go of the ignition key.

Will report back when finished and had the obligatory visit to Casualty to stem the bleeding.

Good luck, it looks like a bitch of a job. A friend of mine has a VW transporter and his starter has made that noise for nearly 3 years. He just lives with it.

Ah, I'm too fussy!

Stopped along the way to retap the manifold as the threads were shot, dallied a while cleaning and greasing the bonnet catch, took some time to strip and clean the indicator relay. Found the front calipers will need a refurb kit too, but that's another thread!

It sounds just perfect now, no whirly noise. It isn't a particularly easy job to do, but even though I'm bruised and scraped I'm glad I've done it.

Well done for tackling a difficult job. I had the same problem some time ago but I chickened out. Eventually the starter motor stopped making "the" noise and has been fine for the last four years or so.

Hugh

I had the starter motor replaced by ASL Motors in the North West (Macclesfield 01260 252537). The price was very reasonable - £110 for the motor and £63 labour. Beats a weekend of cursing and struggle.

Back