Technical standard sei offset

Currently reading:
Technical standard sei offset

Thanks fingers99, yes I should have made that clear I was talking about the front of the car as that as far more latitude for changes than the rear, what I'm unsure of is how much I need to push out the front wheels. My understanding is that I can't push the front wheels out wide enough to all stop scrubbing that's why you have novitech lock reducers.

The rear is rather simple, I've got 4 to 5mm clearance on the outer arch at the rear so will use 3mm spacers to try and eliminate the scrubbing, if I still have scrubbing it's time for body work modifications.

My understanding is that I can't push the front wheels out wide enough to all stop scrubbing that's why you have novitech lock reducers.

It's all going to be very dependent on tyre choice. I'd be inclined to bodge up some "trial" spacers out of anything you have lying around, and check it under full lock (without actually driving the car, I mean). Blue has no lock reducers and no scrubbing, but that extra 1/4" may make a difference. My guess is you'll get away with it on 14" wheels.

The lock reducers themselves seem to be nothing more than fat washers, so if someone can give you the dimensions -- if you need them -- you can probably save yourself a few quid.

Looking at things from under the car it seems to be the diameter of the tyre near full lock causing sholder contact with the arch liner and while spacers do help a little it's not much help. When the tyre hits that liner, then the gearbox, I'm about 1/8 of a turn away from full lock, I think the shiny patch is maybe when 14" alloys were on and it was just rubbing or maybe where the metal rim has been rubbing on the liner too. The offside exhibits simlar marks to just above the hole in the liner. I've got some photos of the problem, there is no sign of scrubbing in the front of the offside arch so I have not included that.

Attachments

• Nearside-arch-liner-back.jpg
    Nearside-arch-liner-back.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Nearside-arch-liner-front.jpg
    Nearside-arch-liner-front.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Offside-arch-liner-back.jpg
    Offside-arch-liner-back.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 5
I tend not to make my self overly clear.

As for ratio games, if you can get a Mk1 Punto 6 speed and use the cinq's final drive you end up with the 2nd, 3rd & 4th the same ratio, 1st is 10% higher along with 6th compared to the stock 5th and the 6 speeds 5th is 10% lower. This drops 70mph in 6th 350~400rpm and reaches 128mph at 6000rpm. A nice look-up table for you, ratio is expressed in mph/1000rpm with 195/45R14 tyres
Code:
Gear  stock  6spd
1st    4.1    4.5
2nd    7.4    7.4
3rd   10.8   10.8
4th   14.2   14.2
5th   19.2   17.6
6th          21.4

On a side note, stock cinq sporting 5th with 195/45R15 looks lower than the 6speed with the cento final drive on 195/45R14

Could well be.

Blue has 2 major issues (apart from the blow-up!): one is that (allegedly -- I've never done this, but fully believe it) it will pull in 5th until the speedo needle bounces off the stop, the other is that it will torque steer in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

The latter could be sorted by boost control or -- maybe -- LSD. But the former pretty much limits the car. Once the reliability issues are sorted (should know what went pop this weekend), there's a lot more power in there, so I'm not overly worried about loosing out on acceleration in the meantime.

Okay if memory serves me right final drive is situated in the diff for the fiat boxes, so if you're wanting real ratio hikes across all gears get a Mk1 Punto 60S rev1 diff, the both rev1 and S are important as you want the final drive that goes with the 13" wheels not the 14", s that is the tallest ratio bolt-in part for the fire gearboxes. The PGT is taller but the gearbox internals are different and will require reworking of the fire box's output shaft not to mention custom drive shafts.

Now mated to the cento box you'll get a nice 8 to 9% ratio hike on your 14" wheels, however in the punto 6 speed box you'll get the 5th you have now and 6th will be be over 20% higher, about 140mph at 6000 rpm, & with 15" wheels you'll be looking at over 145mph at 6000 (70mph will be in the 2850~2900 rpm area making for relaxed cruising)

That is all from hazy memories of when I was looking at ratio changes working with stock fiat parts, so I may be totally off marker here. HTH.

Back