General Slow window winder

Currently reading:
General Slow window winder

The nearside electric window winder on our Cabrio has been getting progressively slower over the ten years we have owned the car. I now need to do something about it as I am sure it is putting a strain on the motor!

Has anyone else managed this on any Mk1 Punto? I have previously lubricated the regulator siding mechanism, but it makes no difference. Is the cable capable of being lubricated, or does the problem lie with the motor itself?

Does anyone know if the mechanism is unique to the Cabrio, or is it interchangeable with other Mk1 mechanisms?

Any help or advice gratefully received. :)

Hi! I have the same problem. Probably new motors gonna solve the issue... And I think there is something to do with the rubber sliders on the sides cause if I leave the rear windows down the front windows go up very easy. Is it make sense? I`m gonna have a closer look during the next few week, just have to get some motors from scrappy. Will let U know.

Hi! I have the same problem. Probably new motors gonna solve the issue... And I think there is something to do with the rubber sliders on the sides cause if I leave the rear windows down the front windows go up very easy. Is it make sense? I`m gonna have a closer look during the next few week, just have to get some motors from scrappy. Will let U know.

You could try some dry silicone spray lubricant on the rubber seals. but don't expect any miracles. The mechanics inside the door might also need some lubrication.

Time for an update.

Removed the entire mechanism from the door and was pleased to find there is a removable cover on the cable winder. Removed the cover and ensured the grease inside was spread around the cable. The regulator/slider mechanism was caked in old grease which I cleaned away with meths. This enabled the slider to slide up and down more easily, so I then applied a little new grease. I also applied some new grease at each of the cable ends. When I reassembled it I found that a bit of adjustment to the adjustable nut at the bottom of the slider mechanism had an influence on the operation, probably lining it up better with the front and rear channel guides.

Overall, it is much improved, but still not as quick as the drivers window. I also discovered that the motor can be detached from the rest of the mechanism, so I suspect that if you need a new motor for a Cabrio, you may be able to swap the motor from one of the more available models, leaving the unique elements of the mechanism in place.

Hope this is of help to others. ;)

Halfrauds do a good aerosol lube spray, especially for window winders.

Strip the doors down and clean the guides, cables, pulleys etc then spray..

Works fine. My Barchetta passenger window needs doing every six months or it seizes up...drivers side has never needed doing :confused:

Easy job and cheaper than new winder motors.

Last edited:
Back