Technical Serious Viabration Based Rattle from right side of engine

Currently reading:
Technical Serious Viabration Based Rattle from right side of engine

glowplug

Hi guys

I have a serious noise coming from the right hand side (cam belt) of the engine but ONLY when pulling off either in first or reverse. At idle she is dead quiet (well as quiet as a diesel can be). It is only under load.

I removed the serpentine belt today and the noise totally went. I removed the crankshaft pulley for inspection but there is no sign whatsoever of the rubber being broken or perished (car has done 75Kmiles). I also tested all the other bearings e.g. on the alternator, power steering , idler and air-con and all feel sound. There is some end float on the steering pump shaft but the bearing feels fine.

I also recently replaced ALL the engine mounts.

Any ideas ???

Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry forgot to say changed that as well about a year ago as it was making an odd tinny sound.

Recently changed the crank pulley on our diesel and to look at it you would say it was fine...Was causing all sorts of rattling noises and what you would describe as clutch judder.. new one on and all was sorted

Thanks for the feedback. I have ordered one from eBay fingers crossed it will be the solution.

My wife loves this car but I must say that as soon as I kick my eldest child out the house and we no longer need 6 seats I will ditch it faster than a duff watch. This thing makes my Chrysler Voyager look like the most reliable car on the planet and it has done almost 200K miles. I am always having to fix something on the Multipla whereas all I ever do to the Chrysler is oil and filters, it doesn't even have a cam belt or chain to worry about. I changed the clutch and rear crank seals at 150k and that was it.

Well blow me down, the new pulley seems to have solved the issue.

Just like Alpitlum reported my old pulley looked absolutely perfect, no obvious deterioration of the rubber whatsoever.

Oh well you live and learn. The one I bought was off eBay and requires MUCH shorter bolts than the OEM one. Fortunately I had 4x 8mm bolts the right length lying about.

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

god mine has started making the same noise today,, gonna pull it to bits tomorrow

It was £88 with free delivery.

I do not know what Fiat charges, I just wanted it quick and ordered the cheapest one I could find on eBay. I reiterate though that if you buy one of these you will need to get some much shorter length bolts preferably with Allen or Torx heads. I use normal Hex head bolts but needed to make a shank out of another nut to give enough lift on the head so that it did not interfere with the central spigot of the crank. Otherwise if you let the hex head go full depth down you cannot get the socket down to torque it up as there is simply not enough clearance.

Thanks for the info
I am going to do the cambelt on my 110jtd would you think I should just bite the bullet and change the crank pulley aswell, while I'm there? Or could it be done easy enough at a later date? Its done 78k and 10 years old...

It's really up to you mate. Knowing what I know now I probably would. It is really easy to take off though. I just drove mine up on ramps, removed the right hand splash cover, 15mm socket with a power bar on the auto tensioner, remove the belt and then take the 4 x Torx bolt off. You need to put a pry bar behind the pulley to loosen it up but be careful as the cam belt is right behind.

Ah well moral of the story is shop around. However wife is off my back and that is worth ten times what I paid.

Back