Technical semi-automatic gearbox failure

Currently reading:
Technical semi-automatic gearbox failure

edenborough

while driving my ducato campervan today i heard clunking noises when changing gear. then when stopping at a junction it wanted to creep forwards even with my foot on the brake as still in gear. then final clunk and van stopped. i only had neutral said all other gears were not available. I had noticed an acrid smell inside the rear of the van. van now waiting to be recovered to local garage. Any suggestions very welcome please.

while driving my ducato campervan today i heard clunking noises when changing gear. then when stopping at a junction it wanted to creep forwards even with my foot on the brake as still in gear. then final clunk and van stopped. i only had neutral said all other gears were not available. I had noticed an acrid smell inside the rear of the van. van now waiting to be recovered to local garage. Any suggestions very welcome please.

Hi :)

It sounds electrical :(

The robotised boxes are complex

They need the correct fluid.. kept at the correct level..

then good electrics..including the brake pedal switch(es)

Tell us more about the van..

Miles covered.. work done

Get the garage to give you a list of the gearbox errors it has stored..
Then SEARCH them on here ;)

The system started on Alfa Romeo back in the 90's

But is relatively rare on the van side of things here

Charlie

Last edited:
Yes. Need specifics of your model, year etc.

MultiECUscan can read the Auto gearbox codes if you also get the correct OBDII cable
and the software.
The free version doesn't read the gearbox ecu so you will need a registered copy.

I have the 2006 2.8 JTD and confirm I can access the gearbox ECU.
Has all kinds of info like Gearbox Oil temperature.

Did you do an gearbox oil change in the gearbox recently or have it serviced?
An oilchange at 100-150K can prolong the life.
They say maintenance free for life for auto gearbox but ...I don't believe that.

Back