General seicento sporting discs

Currently reading:
General seicento sporting discs

mrspunto

hi.this will be basic but can someone talk me through front disc removal on a 00 seic sporting ? got the pads out , managed to wear the outer pad down to the metal and gouge the disc yet the inner pad is fine, any reason for this ? so new discs required.guessing calipers need to come off, just dont want to undo wrong things. anything else required and how easy or otherwise will it be to get the disc off.im also thinking that when new pads are in that the offside one that was worn right down is going to rub all the time.the caliper seems to work ok in that it `floats` easy enough. soz if this is so easy but i am a woman and blagging my way through this job .
ta, bev

Hi

The reason for the uneven wear is that the caliper has not slid as it should, so it will need a bit of cleaning and greasing.

So, you've got the pads out, now you need to unbolt the caliper carrier from the hub. There is no need to disconnect the brake pipe, but support the caliper once removed with a bit of string round the spring so that the pipe is not under any strain.

Remove the two bolts that hold the disc on, 12mm head, one will probably have a spike on it.

Smite the disc with a mallet and it will pop off.

Refit is the reverse of removal.

Where the two parts of the caliper slide, make sure there is some copper grease in behind the bellows.

DO NOT press the brake pedal with the calipers off.

Cheers

D

A good place to hang the caliper is to put one of the bolts back in a bit, and hang it up on the brake hose mount that's not in use at the top of the damper. Saves tying knots and string snapping (y)

If the pad was down to the metal you will also have to retract the piston back into the caliper else they won't go over the new disc.

My method is to slacken the bleed nipple and press it back witha block of wood over the piston and a screwdriver. IF you don't slacken the bleed nipple, at least remove the brake fluid cap, and do it slowly ;)

Kristian

thanks for the help guys , got job done this morning.£43 for Mintex discs and pads , not bad really and all went well.took her out for a run and no sign of any binding from the offside caliper,all seems free enough.
cheers.

they were from a local motor factor in Selby,N Yorks
didnt expect Mintex when he quoted £43, but was well happy when he came out the back with the boxes.
much happier with a branded name product

Back