Technical Sei GBox in Cinq?

Currently reading:
Technical Sei GBox in Cinq?

CinqyAbarth

Drives A Red Cinq Abarth
Hi Guys,

some of you may know that one of my Gearbox bearings has gone so its extremely noisy and apparently could go any minute.. so im on the lookout for another box..

There are no Cinqs near me, but i have been offered a '99 Sei Abarth with complete engine and box which has been crashed in the rear.. so my question is..

will the gearbox go into my Cinq? i shouldnt see why not as theyre basically the same car.. but i know that the exhaust has different mounts (had a sei exhaust on my last cinq) so the mounts might be all different.. and as its a 99 im guessing its an SPi, and apparently low mileage so could even swap over the whole engine if i really wanted to..

Cheers

Craig

I think they are bolt for bolt swaps but not sure. Be warned - Sei' Abarth boxes have a lower final drive but it'll return your gearing to stock gearing.

GhostWKD, it's a trim level change with larger rolling dia wheels, it also uses a different speedo calibration (going by RPM v's speed on the dials), also if you which explain this little discrepancy then go ahead. StoneNewt runs tyres which are 3% larger rolling dia than mine, now if we both run at 3000 rpm why am I pulling away from him? The box data I've found on-line gives a 5% ratio difference between the two boxes, this would more than compensate for the difference in rolling giving my car the slightly taller gears, this on-paper ratio difference is about what we have seen on the road.

Though under the different wheels and possibly different speedo's (something i hadnt considered) is it not the same gearbox? cant see the point in fiat making the ratio's any closer than the already close gear ratio'd sporting :eek: happy to be corrected though as its not something i've done extensive research into :)

The Sei MPI Abarths were considered a stand alone model, as was the Shoe-maker, rather than just optional extras like the Spi Abarth was. Hence why the earlier SPi ones have differances depending on what was specced new, like my mates has lovely Abarth sill gaurds and full body kit, yet 13" wheels, one mature lady owner from new 23K when he bought last year.

The MPi Abarth/shoe-maker models have a lower final drive as this was to keep the 0-60 time the same even tho it had bigger wheels as standard fitment, wheres as the SPi model wheels were an option, therefore cosmetic improvent maybe even dealer fit, so the gearbox is no different.

Its very noticable going from one car to another, in Emmas MPi Sei at 80mph = 4500rpm, yet in my old Cinq with 14" wheels 80 = 4000rpm, this equals the one less tooth as found on final drive on MPi Abarth box.

Oh and speedo is electronic sender unit on MPi models, not gear driven like Spi.

Oh and speedo is electronic sender unit on MPi models, not gear driven like Spi.

I dont correct aaron much but some SPI models are also electronic sender units as well as gear driven earlier ones tend to be the latter

Back