Technical Scudo Loud Turbo

Currently reading:
Technical Scudo Loud Turbo

Howie1

Hi Guys
I am new to this forum however im sure you guys can help i have just recently bought a fiat scudo 2.0 hdi jdt reg 03 with 140000 on the clock and have found what i believe to be a loud turbo when under load a typical turbo sound only louder than usual i have checked all pipeing etc for leakage and all seems ok although the turbine shaft does have some play in it not overly excessive though or has it had it's day if so is it easy to remove and rebuild with a repair kit or is this not wise.

Hi

I suppose you could call it a louder whining than usual when the engine is under load (accelerating) you can also hear a quieter whine from time to time when the engine is idling hope this helps.

Surprisingly, a new turbo is quite stiff to turn by hand.... if yours is very 'free' then this could be the reason for the noise. I would imagine any side-play in the shaft at all is a no-no.

There should be a 'value' for the amount of free play on the turbo shaft which you could test for (you'll need a micrometer and the relevant technical specs to do this though).

Turbo failure may only result in you limping home so you could live with it until destruction and then fit a new one.

Yes many thanks for that i think it's nearly had it's day anyway sometimes when it's coming to it's final stages of shuting down you get a kind of little rattle although like you said i'll wait for it to die totally then change it again many thanks

Surprisingly, a new turbo is quite stiff to turn by hand.... if yours is very 'free' then this could be the reason for the noise. I would imagine any side-play in the shaft at all is a no-no.

There should be a 'value' for the amount of free play on the turbo shaft which you could test for (you'll need a micrometer and the relevant technical specs to do this though).

Turbo failure may only result in you limping home so you could live with it until destruction and then fit a new one.

Wait until it self destructs? Along with the engine when it sucks the pieces of the turbo in. The repair then goes from a new turbo to a new turbo and engine rebuild!

Bad advice man! :bang:

Back