Technical Rough idle and engine shut down on cold starts

Currently reading:
Technical Rough idle and engine shut down on cold starts

ALA85

Purchased used 2015 Panda 4x4 Airtwin Turbo 0.9 (supposedly S&S?) with 52,000 KM this June in Italy, where I live.

I've been experiencing this in the mornings now that it's colder in Rome: I start the engine, the motor idles roughly (slow "rhythm") and hesitates...this morning for the first time the engine idle slowed until it stopped. I started the engine again, put in gear got the car going and it was fine. After about 5 minutes of driving the engine temperature went up and it seemed fine. If I turn off and park and come back after an hour or two it seems to start OK.

Some ideas of my own: the S&S has never worked since I bought it used. If I put the car in neutral while I drive in traffic whether the S&S button is off or on seems to not change anything. I mention this because somewhere I read this S&S not working could be related to the battery state, and the rough idle could also be related to the battery state perhaps? I don't know... Another idea is the spark plugs, which I have no idea when or if they were ever changed. Other than that, not sure what could be the issue. Next morning I will take a video.

Anybody else experience this or know what maybe could be wrong before I take it to the mechanic for oil change? Thank you.

Stop and start not working will definately be the battery. Ours stopped working when the car was about 9 months old in its first UK winter. SEVEN years later when I noticed battery performance was dropping off, I changed it and SnS started working again! :rolleyes:

Rough Idle when cold could be a combination of things, plugs (damp) / fuel / even non- Selenia oil.

SEVEN years later when I noticed battery performance was dropping off, I changed it and SnS started working again!
This is interesting! Seven years later...ha.

Yes I only mention the S&S not working because somewhere I read that maybe low/difficult idle can be an issue with battery state...maybe when the battery charge goes up after driving the idle gets better? (only a theory question). I will research this more. It seems to be temperature issue because when I use the car for a while then it idles fine. If I turn off the engine for a couple hours and go back it turns on OK and runs fine.

When I take the car to the mechanic for the oil change I will ask for the correct type, to change the spark plugs, and to check battery state. 👍
I use the regular green fuel always so I do not know why fuel would be a problem unless there is another problem with mixture or temperature...I don't know. Rome is cold but it is not Alps...hm, maybe air filter. 🤷‍♂️

This is interesting! Seven years later...ha.

Yes I only mention the S&S not working because somewhere I read that maybe low/difficult idle can be an issue with battery state...maybe when the battery charge goes up after driving the idle gets better? (only a theory question). I will research this more. It seems to be temperature issue because when I use the car for a while then it idles fine. If I turn off the engine for a couple hours and go back it turns on OK and runs fine.

When I take the car to the mechanic for the oil change I will ask for the correct type, to change the spark plugs, and to check battery state. 👍
I use the regular green fuel always so I do not know why fuel would be a problem unless there is another problem with mixture or temperature...I don't know. Rome is cold but it is not Alps...hm, maybe air filter. 🤷‍♂️
I've a TA in a 4x4, the Stop/Start only worked when the battery was brand new and absolutely fully charged - as soon as voltage drops a little it ceases to work which doesn't bother me too much! It sounds as though you are not certain of any service history? If this is the case then I would definitely get plugs, oil and all filters changed to see how that helps. Have you checked the engine oil level too? If especially low that will affect the performance of the UniAir module and can cause rough running on start up, however, if the oil level is that low you may have other issues... Get ready to be frustrated by the colour of the dip stick, if you can see the oil level then I would suggest that it is so dirty that it needs changing! (You will see what I mean!)

Finally, with all that done above and the problem continues then it maybe that the engine temperature sensor is bad and the ECU is not fuelling correctly for a cold start, however I might have expected an error code in this scenario?

Purchased used 2015 Panda 4x4 Airtwin Turbo 0.9 (supposedly S&S?) with 52,000 KM this June in Italy, where I live.

I've been experiencing this in the mornings now that it's colder in Rome: I start the engine, the motor idles roughly (slow "rhythm") and hesitates...this morning for the first time the engine idle slowed until it stopped. I started the engine again, put in gear got the car going and it was fine. After about 5 minutes of driving the engine temperature went up and it seemed fine. If I turn off and park and come back after an hour or two it seems to start OK.

Some ideas of my own: the S&S has never worked since I bought it used. If I put the car in neutral while I drive in traffic whether the S&S button is off or on seems to not change anything. I mention this because somewhere I read this S&S not working could be related to the battery state, and the rough idle could also be related to the battery state perhaps? I don't know... Another idea is the spark plugs, which I have no idea when or if they were ever changed. Other than that, not sure what could be the issue. Next morning I will take a video.

Anybody else experience this or know what maybe could be wrong before I take it to the mechanic for oil change? Thank you.
I have the exact same issue. Hoping to find a solution. Did you figure out the problem? S&S does not work for me either. A few weeks back my neighbour recharged my batteri and I'm wondering if this could be related to the issue?

I have the exact same issue. Hoping to find a solution. Did you figure out the problem? S&S does not work for me either. A few weeks back my neighbour recharged my batteri and I'm wondering if this could be related to the issue?

Hi, 🙂

why did your neighbour charge the battery? 🤔

If it couldn't start a Twinair.. Your battery is probably junk 😉

(my 2012 Twinair is on its factory battery.. They take very little starting)

My 2013 panda has running Niggles (mild problems)..
but I don't blame the battery and think I have a poor temperature reading in the ECU (cars brain)

We live in northern norway (cold climate) and take the car out on a lot of small errands, which I was told can really drain the battery. So my neighbour was recharging his batteri and offered to do the same with ours. Since not knowing anything about cars I thought it sounded like a good idea?
So yeah, I wasn't having any issues with the batteri.

Right now my car rough idles around 2000rpm at cold start, then slowly drops. If I start driving before the rpm is around a 1000 my car will have acceleration failure as if something is blocking it and engine light comes on. After driving for maybe 5 min and restarting the car, it will run as normal and no

Been having an issue suddenly when the car has not been driven in a while, as in several hours overnight. When starting it up in the morning, the yellow engine light comes on and the idle is quite rough right away, idling around 1500 rpm unevenly. If I can get it going has acceleration issues/failure, I have to floor the gas pedal to get it going and it will only run slowly.

However, after running it for a bit it seems fine with no issues whatsoever, with the idling rpm going below 1000rpm. I've definitely noticed a correlation with the engine temperature that once it gets up past the first tick on the dash, it runs absolutely fine. It only seems to be in the morning. Even after leaving it for several hours during day time and then starting the car, things seem fine. The temperature at night where I am is still going below freezing so not sure if that might help with diagnosis?

We have already change the oil, had the spark plugs switched and a full service on it. After some searching online, I'm wondering if it could be an MAP sensor issue or issue with the throttle body but not really sure if those make sense with it going away after it gets "warmed up".

Back