General Roof rack howler.

Currently reading:
General Roof rack howler.

Zog

Established member
Bought a roof rack as at https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=325377

Fitted OK, however at 30MPH it hums, at 40MPH it hums loudly, and at 50 or above it howls atrociously. Up at 80+ is's like being in a WWII Stuka dive bombey in terminal delivery, so much so that earpugs are helpful and it's vibrated loose some of the poppers that hold on the headlining.

Does anyone know how to quieten the xxxx thing down a bit, or a lot, or do I have to crawl wverywhere at 30?

Any help or ideas will be most welcome.

If you NEED it then you have to suffer the noise.

If it was new, or you know the manufacturer, ask them if it is meant to be this noisy, or have you fitted it the wrong way around, or have they ever tested it. Likely they just made it to fit.

As its a van, you shouldn't be doing more than 50 on a single carriageway anyway.

It's a genuine Cirtoen article, with a plate attached showing direction and payload.

50MPH on single carriageways is one thing but vans are allowed on dual carriageways and motorways you know and at speed the noise is quite something. I cannot believe that the noise from these things is "normal" when it's loud enough to cause hearing damage. I will experiment with lagging.

Back