Panda Replacing Cat Converter

Currently reading:
Panda Replacing Cat Converter

Gingerbeardyman

So, I know everyone's wallets will have hurt at the mere mention of a cat converter replacement! So, where I work we've got access to engine diagnostics and its read the engine fault as "cat levels too low to be read (<0.2)" so the cat converter needs replacing. But does anyone know how easy it is to do myself (+1 other)? And what "brand" of cat converters would people recommend and what sort of prices I should expect?

So, I know everyone's wallets will have hurt at the mere mention of a cat converter replacement! ... what sort of prices I should expect?

For sure, it will cost you big bucks if you buy an OEM part from a franchised dealer.

But aftermarket alternatives are available for less than you might think - ECP will sell you a Euro4 cat for the 1.2 for £128.69.

When buying a cat, it's vital to check you're buying the correct one for your engine and emission standard, so do check fitment details carefully before ordering.

But as others have said, do check first that the problem really is a worn out cat - this isn't by any means a common issue.

Last edited:
yes its easy to change.

you need a new gasket and some paste

a used a thin chisel to separate the exhaust of the back without damage.

I used a second hand one which came with the lambda already

you will probably require a blow tourch to remove the lambdas'

doubt the fault will be the CAT though. I changed mine due to pothole damage

If you do need to change the cat just be aware that the cheapest ones are a bit borderline when it comes to getting through emissions. My cinq struggles, but was always fine on the old cat even though it was smashed up inside.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

at that price, its probably not the best cat in the world. if the car runs pretty cleanly anyway you may be lucky. i have an imported toyota that doesnt need or have a cat, but would pass the basic cat test, just!

sometimes 2 cats the same can be wildly different in quality, moreso if they are cheap due to iffy quality standards!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back