Repairing Acrylic Headlamp Protectors

Currently reading:
Repairing Acrylic Headlamp Protectors

Didy

One of my beloved (what a saddo ;) ) Abarth headlamp protectors got a nasty crack on a recent trip up to Scotland. The crack as usual has slowly spread across the surface, especially as it is held under tension to keep it on.

Knowing super glue and the like will not stick acrylic, I cast my memory back to metal work classes and using solvent weld on Perspex sheets. The technique is to run the adhesive into the crack in sufficient quantity to weld it back together. However do not apply so much that it runs or drips across the rest of the protector, as it will mark the surface. I used a syringe to apply mine, such as the sort for refilling ink jet cartridges.

I left this to set and harden overnight. The following day I gently scrapped off any high points and marks along the weld line with a sharp scalpel. Then polished it back to a very high shine using Brasso (Yes the stuff for polishing your brass).

I did have difficulty in finding this adhesive at a reasonable price and not by the gallon. Bondrite Adhesives sell this:

Acrylic Weld Cement 250ML
Product Code: WC102 Speed of Cure: VERY FAST
Viscosity: WATER THIN Gap Fill: SMALL
Our Price: £3.95

http://www.bondrite.co.uk/weld-cements/cat_12.html

Considering most acrylic headlamp protectors are in the region of £40 I think it is worth giving it a go.

Last edited:
Back