Technical removing instrument cluster

Currently reading:
Technical removing instrument cluster

mqsash

Hi,

So, how do I remove the instrument cluster?
I've been searching this forum for a way to remove my instrument cluster, but unfortunately could not find something that applied to my Uno.
Read somewhere that I need to remove the part of the dash above the cluster, but dont think that applies here, as the dash is one single piece from door to door.
There are two screws on the transparent plastic over the dials but that's all that I can see, and removing them did'nt work either. Maybe it is glued as well.

mqs

Attachments

• DashAndConsole.jpg
    DashAndConsole.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 252
  • Cluster.jpg
    Cluster.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 127
thats all what holds mine in, the 2 screws, then you need to tease it out with a fine screwdriver from the top, i used a trim tool like a hook a wiggle here a wiggle there and it will come out, they are a tight fit ant!

so do I try to take off the glass / cover first and then do the wiggling with the cluster ? Or would the do wiggling bring forth the whole thing.... In which case I guess the cover is glued on to the cluster? is it??
And are there any cables or connections that I should be aware of while prying the cluster out? I mean, I hope the wires/cable have enough slack in them so that they dont snap.
And finally - tell me that the steering need not be removed during the whole procedure.

mqs

Hi, sounds like you've been reading about the 'Mk1' Uno, that has the lid over the instruments (totally different design). Excellent illustrations by the way.

Can I suggest (I don't have a Mk2) that perhaps the speedometer cable may restrain the instrument cluster? So, maybe look for the cable on the firewall in the engine bay (or under the dash if possible) and give it a push with the cluster screws undone; see if you can push the cluster out that way.

No, you won't need to remove the steering wheel :) I'm sure of that because I watched someone else take an instrument panel out of a Mk2.

-Alex

Hi Alex,

Nothing under the dash which allows me to push the instrument cluster :(
Infact the underside of the dash ( below the steering wheel ) seems to be all covered up and I cant even get my fingers in.

BTW...
.... I watched someone else take an instrument panel out of a Mk2.

....do you recollect how he pushed / pulled it out? ;)

Anyway in my search I came across this
https://www.fiatforum.com/lets-talk...ead-updated-10-1-07-carbon-fibre-bits-39.html

It's from Dunc Uno Turbo's restoration thread..... (mighty huge mega long thread and still going on! :worship: )
Down in post #575, he has pics of the instrument panel out of the dash, and then after putting it into the dash, but nothing about how to put it in or pull it out... :(
But a look at dashboard taken off reveals that indeed the instruments would be screwed on by only the two screws. I've borrowed the image from https://www.fiatforum.com/lets-talk...ead-updated-10-1-07-carbon-fibre-bits-38.html
and circled the screw hole.

so now its going to be Ants technique of pulling the instruments out !!

mqs

Attachments

• UnoMk2 Dash.jpg
    UnoMk2 Dash.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Ok guys got the cluster out. Turned out to be pretty easy getting the unit out.
thanks AntsUno (y)
But now on to the real problem, or problems!!
1. When I try to remove the connectors at the back of the cluster, they are coming off with the PCB itself (the thin plastic sheet with copper tracks on it).
Seems like the PCB goes right into the connectors !!
So how do I ensure that I remove only the connector and not the PCB?

2. How do the small bulbs at the top - above the green semi-transparent strip, come off? They have some kind of black cap behind them - which I guess is the holder. To be honest I was applying only gentle force so as not the damage anything. But I've tried unscrewing the bulbs, and also the "bayonet" kind of fit, but none worked.

I guess, many of you guys have been down this road before, so I'll get some real good feedback.

mqs

I guess, many of you guys have been down this road before, so I'll get some real good feedback.

Yes indeed! Great questions :)

1. The printed circuit (copper tracks on blue plastic film) is actually quite strong. Just restrain it with your fingers and pull the plug off - the circuit can be refitted carefully later before you put the plugs back on. This is common to all FIATs that I've worked on - the plastic film always comes away from its supports but always fits back on once you line up the tiny holes with the pegs.

2. Those bulb holders have a metal contact on each side that forms a clip. Just pull the bulb holder away from the printed circuit - starting with one side (squeeze between thumb and forefinger and try to 'peel' the bulb holder off). Do not turn the bulb holder (I guess you have worked this out ;)) Again, the plastic film/copper circuit will come away with the holder, but again, this is no problem as long as you replace it carefully (the copper tabs go through the hole, not folded-back underneath the film - you'll see what I mean...) This also applies to many other FIAT models.

On my instrument cluster, I removed the green strip that you mentioned (the white plastic housing, that the bulbs press into, is super-glued in place and can be prised off). I then use coloured silicone-rubber caps for the bulbs, available in yellow, orange, red, or blue, from our accessory shops. If not available, you can paint the bulbs or even use insulation tape to create a tint.

I got caught out myself recently while changing the bulb in a Croma clock. I think the Uno Mk2 clock may be the same. The bulb holder twisted out easily, but try as I might, I could not pull the bulb out of the holder. Eventually I used pliers and cloth. The base of the bulb broke off, and once I dug the pieces out, I could see that the bulb's wires were actually welded to the tabs of the holder! (yes, welded not soldered!)

I replaced it with a 'grain of wheat' model-railway type of bulb, soldering the wires into place (difficult), but this bulb was not bright enough. Eventually I realised that a 'standard' bulb holder could be made to fit into the clock with a little persuasion - problem solved! (I keep a few spare instrument clusters around, since it's cheaper than buying those little bulbs...)

Cheers!
-Alex

PS. sorry I was wrong about being able to reach the speedometer cable from under the dash. I think it's inside the heater chamber on the Uno. I was thinking of another FIAT (I've worked on a number of them and start to get mixed-up between the models! ;))

Last edited:
Alex, .... will try your method of bulb removal, I'm sure I'll manage it (eventually :D )
As for the green strip, like you said super glued is what I was expecting, but it was just simply kept there , no glue, nothing and no signs that it was ever glued !!

:idea: : I am going to try out a few colours using transparent coloured paper (we call it gelatin paper over here) , and when the colour is finalized, I'll be using a piece of coloured acrylic.

BTW - the only connector which came off without the plastic film was at the top left (looking from behind the cluster) and it had only one wire going into it, although it has many pins. The wire is blue-brown ( or blue-orange :chin: ) I think it might be the signal needed for a tacho !! just the thing that got me started on the whole thing in the first place. Can anybody confirm that. How can I test it without using a tacho.

looks like a fun filled week coming up :devil: .

and BTW no need for any sorry, if you ( and a few other folks ) wont be around, then this forum might be .... well, not as interesting.
:worship:

mqs

Last edited:
:idea: : I am going to try out a few colours using transparent coloured paper (we call it gelatin paper over here) , and when the colour is finalized, I'll be using a piece of coloured acrylic.

and BTW no need for any sorry, if you ( and a few other folks ) wont be around, then this forum might be .... well, not as interesting.
:worship:

mqs

me too right, quash ????:eek:

Well, I was away and was unable to check the forum for a couple of days..
I had removed my instrument cluster at least 10 times last month, have a spare one now, and trying to get one which has a tacho ...

Well I actually twist the bulbs to remove it, and i'm pretty sure it's that way for all MK2's around (at least here)..I have tried some 4-5 instrument clusters but all were this twist to remove type...

And the plastic strip was not glued on our models, and it has many spare holes/bulbholders/indicator panels which is not used.

and , the diesel ones also shares the same cluster,so some connectors are reserved for those models, which is blank in our models.

and if u are curious, u can utilise some more of them work..I have made some seatbelt warning /boot open/door open indicators for which i used my brain to wire myself;) Not hell of a job anyway.

U can try installing LED's in instruments, I've fitted a bright white one in my clock, now clock is kinda white instead of it's natural green ( u should remove the green coloured plastic strip behind the LED )

but by the way, I've found LED's as a little more directional, but still the light is brighter, but I decided to keep the standard lights as the brighter lights was disturbing my sight at night :: I have specs so may be u wont have any trouble : It's wise u try assembling one first, give it a try, and then go for the whole cluster..

why u need to test the tacho points ? Tacho wires should come from the LT side of Ignition coil..I think it's a green wire..but from the pic I can see u dont have a tacho either..like mine..but if we can add a tacho it would be fine and fun to drive..May be I'll be adding one..The research is on..main prob is finding two small meters that will fit perfectly into the uno's cluster..of course, a complete altered one will be the result, will post a detailed thread of it once i've sourced the items from the breakers...

By the way,u can try white(or any colour of yr choice) dials project by thenwhich is in the projects section of this forum...

Rajeev

Last edited:
Hey Rajeev,
Welcome back.
why u need to test the tacho points ? Tacho wires should come from the LT side of Ignition coil

Mine is a SPI version, so I guess the ECU sends the rpm signal and so I don't need to tap onto the Ignition coil.

Anyway, the reason I want to test the signal ( possibly using a multimeter ) so that I can go ahead and look for a tacho or possibly design one myself :D

BTW - I'm an MH-12, looked around a few accessory shops and they say they dont have a tacho :eek:
Next stop - spare parts shop.

mqs

Hey Rajeev,
Welcome back.

Mine is a SPI version, so I guess the ECU sends the rpm signal and so I don't need to tap onto the Ignition coil.

Anyway, the reason I want to test the signal ( possibly using a multimeter ) so that I can go ahead and look for a tacho or possibly design one myself :D

BTW - I'm an MH-12, looked around a few accessory shops and they say they dont have a tacho :eek:
Next stop - spare parts shop.

mqs

Ok, It's nice that u r also after a tacho.. may b u should try the breakers as they have huge pile of car spares going cheap..

I've been to kurla market several times, I was able to find some decent tachos for around 200-300 INR, but prob was they were all part of another vehicle's clusters so needed to redesign the whole thing in a fiat panel..may be going for one now as i have a spare cluster now!!

Rajeev

just wondering... would a motorcycle's tacho work with the Uno? :chin:
If it does, then it could be a mighty cheap option !

Also would a fuel injected car have a different type of signal (from the ECU) than a carb version ? In the carb version I guess you would get pulses from the coil, in the injected version, would the ECU pass on the pulses as it is or would it send out a more direct DC voltage?:confused:

Well..Nice Idea..

I personally had thought about it earlier, but again, if we need to integrate it into the dash a complete alteration is needed..

Welll I dislike a standalone tacho by the way..but if there is no alternative,I may go in for one..as a last choice..

Rajeev

Back