General Relays: Fuel pump and Injection System

Currently reading:
General Relays: Fuel pump and Injection System

IT WORKS!! (y)

I tried soaking the followers but the stubborn little bastards would not budge, I cleaned up what I could and was at an impass, do I take the head off or carry on as I am. I had considered heating the head but I didn't fancy setting the car on fire considering how much WD40 I'd been using.

So I just ran the car on two cylinders with the starter motor which was enough to heat the head and free up another of the valves, which took quite a while. Once the third cylinder was firing it didn't take long for the other valves to come unstuck, now its purring nicely and starts every time without hesitation :slayer:

It turns out it wasn't the valves but the followers that were stuck, there was a buildup of the same 'baked on' oil or whatever on the bottom on the followers which was a real bitch to get off. The followers I managed to clean can now be taken out easily with two fingers

Tomorrow I'm going to check valve clearances and fully remove all the sludge from the camshaft casing otherwise I imagine I'll be doing all this again soon. Probably change the oil and filter asap and get her ready for an MOT this week.

Thanks to everyone who replied! It's been quite a journey!

Back