General Rear tyre on wrong way and car judders at 70mph +

Currently reading:
General Rear tyre on wrong way and car judders at 70mph +

corky

Mk2 Punto Sporting 1.2
right ive recently put some 17inch alloys on the car some clown has put one tyre on the wrong way round (must of been sniffing glue or something) so i need change that and the car judders when i hit 60-70mph not a lot but you can feel it with the original wheels on i got 100mph no problem i got these new wheels on it struggled and struggled and i think just stopped at 85mph but i had 2 FAT m8s in the car :yum: can the tracking reduce speed or out like that? and would a focus induction kit increase speed and how much are we talking (speed) a few hp? :rolleyes:

right ive recently put some 17inch alloys on the car some clown has put one tyre on the wrong way round (must of been sniffing glue or something) so i need change that and the car judders when i hit 60-70mph not a lot but you can feel it with the original wheels on i got 100mph no problem i got these new wheels on it struggled and struggled and i think just stopped at 85mph but i had 2 FAT m8s in the car :yum: can the tracking reduce speed or out like that? and would a focus induction kit increase speed and how much are we talking (speed) a few hp? :rolleyes:

Having the tyre the wrong way round is dangerous if its a directional tyre...

That sounds like the tracking is out and will eat up those tyres in about 13k miles if one is lucky. It happened to me with a beautiful new set of uniroyals (n) Lesson learned

By putting on bigger wheels and tyres they have essentially geared up the whole car, sapping the life from the car, you may actually be going quicker than the speedo reads, my Bravo was never the same after i put on the 17's (n) I'm assuming you have 205/40's? Consider 205/35's next time you change tyres :devil:

Considering my Bravo (don't worry i have a mk2 Sporting with abarth kit, i don't drive this much!!) had 82bhp to begin with, after i custom fitted the filter and ram pipe (using a funnel and some sheet metal) the car is significantly quicker then when i got it first, est 88-90bhp now. Clever airflow makes the difference (y)

My Punto (proof!)

Image0020.jpg

Last edited:
What was the size of the original tyres and new tyres.

If the total radius of the new tyres is LESS than the orginal then that could be your problem regarding speed. Or if you had a wider footprint on the tyre thats going to create more friction with the road surface thus creating more drag, less speed, higher fuel consumption.

Oh and last time I checked, national speed limit is still 70MPH LOL

today im going to get the tyre taking off and put on the right way!! also the tracking is going to be done too... the wheels i had on before where only 14inch dont know the tyre size just original punto wheels now ive got 17inch alloys on 205/40/r17 tyres!!

right since yesterday when i dip my clutch in it squeeks :bang: my m8 said i could of got a bit giddy with carb cleaner spray and sprayed it on the clutch cable and its set etc so just give it a good spray of WD40 with some pressing the clutch in and out and hopefully should sort it this right?

ALSO im sure im not the only person in the world whos been over 70mph.... seriously come on i did it at 3 in the morning :p

today im going to get the tyre taking off and put on the right way!! also the tracking is going to be done too... the wheels i had on before where only 14inch dont know the tyre size just original punto wheels now ive got 17inch alloys on 205/40/r17 tyres!!

right since yesterday when i dip my clutch in it squeeks :bang: my m8 said i could of got a bit giddy with carb cleaner spray and sprayed it on the clutch cable and its set etc so just give it a good spray of WD40 with some pressing the clutch in and out and hopefully should sort it this right?

ALSO im sure im not the only person in the world whos been over 70mph.... seriously come on i did it at 3 in the morning :p

Some of us actually like our clean licence. :nono:

If you were originally on stock tyres (165/70/R14), then technically your speedo shouldn't be out by much.
In theory, where your speedo read 60mph before, its now around 60.9mph. So it isn't really out by enough to worry about or to make a visible difference.

Maybe, if the tyres are directional then thats why you're noticing a speed difference. Get it changed over to the correct direction and try it again. Should hopefully fix the problem.

A rear with the tyre on the wrong way is way less bad than a front, but not good especially if there is a crash that could be blamed on the tyres.

The vibrations suggests a wheel weight has come off or tyre wear has reduced the tread weight so the existing weight is too big.

A rough calc of the old wheel rolling diameter comes to 587mm and the new is 596mm (1.5%). So it wont get better than that.

Last edited:
right i had the tyre changed so its facing the right way and i had the front tyres balanced well he balanced one because the other had already been done and it was 25g out so.... motorway ..... 50 60 70 mph juddering STILL i am thinking spigot rings would these fit the alloys i have on my car though? the alloys are 4x100 would i just need to measure it...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-PUNTO-AL...s_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item1e5b6a4fdb

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
If you were originally on stock tyres (165/70/R14), then technically your speedo shouldn't be out by much.
In theory, where your speedo read 60mph before, its now around 60.9mph. So it isn't really out by enough to worry about or to make a visible difference.

Maybe, if the tyres are directional then thats why you're noticing a speed difference. Get it changed over to the correct direction and try it again. Should hopefully fix the problem.

i went through a thing near my house what tells you the speed your going i was going 20mph and it flashed 20mph

Back