Technical Rattling front tops !

Currently reading:
Technical Rattling front tops !

NorthernRob

Hi All,

Newbie here so go gentle ;-)
I am working through the snags on my 2010 Panda and since ive had it theres been a really annoying rattle at low speeds from both sides.
Tonight on further inspection I have discovered its from the top of the strut (front) inside the coil spring, there is like a loose plastic cap above the rubber bellow that is happy rattling away, identical on both sides so down a bumpy road it sounds awful !
Anyway... what is it and how can I fix it !! I have a movie but I cant work out how to post it so taken a still, i hope its clear to follow.
Its the plastic cap, looks light grey/white.

Many thanks everyone :)

rattle top.JPG

Hard to see but looks to me as if these two parts have come apart

They are in two seperate part that tightly push together

Obviously the proper fix is just to replace them, a pain, and you would need a spring compresser

I would try clean them up and silicone them together first
IMG_20230704_095533.jpg

Hard to see but looks to me as if these two parts have come apart

They are in two seperate part that tightly push together

Obviously the proper fix is just to replace them, a pain, and you would need a spring compresser

I would try clean them up and silicone them together first
View attachment 426303
Brilliant, looks exactly what's happened, I'll have a go at cleaning and silicone them together, both sides are exactly the same. Thanks for your help

Is it a dull noise or a light tinkling rattle over bumps? If it’s the latter? you are more likely to need new drop links.

You can prove the bump stops with some dabs of PU body sealant to glue them together. Ive only seen it in large gun tubes but it’s incredibly useful stuff.

Is it a dull noise or a light tinkling rattle over bumps? If it’s the latter? you are more likely to need new drop links.

You can prove the bump stops with some dabs of PU body sealant to glue them together. Ive only seen it in large gun tubes but it’s incredibly useful stuff.
Thanks Dave, I have done exactly that and its sorted it out :)

Our motor factors had it in small ‘toothpaste’ tubes, it’s a one hit wonder, open it and use it, think it’s either U-Pol or Tiger

Back