Question About Scratches

Currently reading:
Question About Scratches

ayoull

Hi, This is my first proper post on the forum I only joined last week, a fortnight ago I bought a Cross Over Black, Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 Active, Today I've finally got round to washing properly, and there are little scratches all over it.

How can you tell if they're gone through the clear coat? And what is the best way to get rid of scratches?

hello from Goole :wave:

the GP's clear coat is very soft i made a hideous mess of my new Orleans blue (dark metallic blue) using a car wash brush :bang: likewise if the car has been run through a car wash or washed with a gritty sponge your likely to have suffered the same feat....

but managed to polish it back by hand to a half reasonable standard took a long time and a lot of sweat.

I have just invested in a Dual action polisher from www.I4detailing.co.uk

3295255124_99f143c2f0.jpg

had a quick go on my dads focus and WOW what a difference once i do my GP i'll get some more pictures up

if you want an easy way of masking the swirls (it wont remove them but it will hide them)

look into autobalm

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=78109&highlight=autobalm+black+scooby+wing

alternatively if you have a strong wrist.....

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10656&highlight=swirl+removal+by+hand+test

...the GP's clear coat is very soft i made a hideous mess of my new Orleans blue (dark metallic blue) using a car wash brush :bang: likewise if the car has been run through a car wash or washed with a gritty sponge your likely to have suffered the same feat....

Oh knickers, some of the scratches I noticed before I washed the car, I'm not sure if they were done in the show room or not, I bought the car from Stoneacre Doncaster, it had been in the show room for 2months before I bought it.

Most are very faint but a couple look slightly white (Mainly on the roof of the car), does this mean its gone right through the paint?

I'm going to invest in a proper cleaning kit once I get paid, can't be scratching all my paint off, by the time I've finished I'd end up with a Silver Car :cry:

Oh knickers, some of the scratches I noticed before I washed the car, I'm not sure if they were done in the show room or not, I bought the car from Stoneacre Doncaster, it had been in the show room for 2months before I bought it.

Most are very faint but a couple look slightly white (Mainly on the roof of the car), does this mean its gone right through the paint?

I'm going to invest in a proper cleaning kit once I get paid, can't be scratching all my paint off, by the time I've finished I'd end up with a Silver Car :cry:

is it brand new or second hand?

black cars are notorious for showing minor defects.. not seen the wash bay at stoneacre in donny but can just see some YTS monkey with a gritty sponge...

have a read of this

https://www.fiatforum.com/car-care/180158-basic-cleaning-polishing-advice-needed.html

if you can catch your finger nail in the scratch its too deep to remove as a rule of thumb

It's a Pre-Reg had done 8miles before I bought it, hmm, Ill get the missus to see if she can get her nails into them, I've got no finger nails that are a decent length.

Do you know of any websites, which have prices for Auto Glym products? or Turtle Wax? Or is Turtle Wax no good? If you don't know of any sites, I can have a wander to Bullseye down the road tomorrow.

And thank you for your help :)

By any chance do you know what "Boyes" full trading name is? As googling "Boyes Doncaster" comes up with porcelainware traders and a chemist.

Back