Technical Punto run out of petrol

Currently reading:
Technical Punto run out of petrol

steele63

My son has run out of fuel in his 1999 Punto 60SX 1.2 (it was running fine prior to this) but now it wont start despite now having fuel in it. Any ideas? Does it need primed in some way? If so how?

he may have pulled dirt and debris from the bottom of the tank...will need a good clean out

good luck

I tried several times but was frightened I would run battery flat!! Have given up for today (now dark and cold) but will try again tomorrow. Thanks for your replies.

when mine run out it just would not start, i had to start it on easy start for about 30 seconds and then it finally went.

my mates punto done exactly the same thing, we just couldnt get it going without easy start.

and i know what im doing with my puntos, they get fuel, spark but they just turn over without even trying to fire.

and bare in mind i primed both fuel pumps at least 30 times and tried for about half hour to get them going.

Last edited:
Never done it but the first thing I would try is to blow compressed air through the fuel line from the engine end. Use a bicycle pump to avoid over-doing it.

Dirt would not clog up the fuel line. On a carburator engine, dirt can block the jets , I imagine the sames true for fuel injection only more so. However you should have a fuel filter.
More likely is an air lock. you can probably check for that removing the filter see if you can pomp fuel through.
Air lock or dirt in the filter.

in some cases the ECU has to reset either manually (disconect the battery or just wait overnight) then ensure theres enough fuel in and try a few times so fuel pump can deliver though the pipes.
thanks alex

Update: managed to get car running again - after much turning of engine, removal/refitting of fuel pump, recharging battery. Don`t know what cured problem unless it was sheer persistence but Hey Ho who cares. Thanks again.

I may be a lil bit late on this post but however... Sounds airlocked. We used to have a 99 sporting here and the same problem occured. Wouldnt start if you roared at it :bang::bang: wont go to the details of what we tried but what did work was accessing the fuel pump and sucking on the send pipe till a wee bit of petrol came out. Connected up the hoses and wiring, horay punto works!!!! However i DONT recomend you do it that way!! Use a proper vacum pump or similar apparatus!! Safety first!!! (y)

Last edited:
My 2004 Punto cuts out when low on juice, between 1/4 tank and reserve line, works fine with a good tank of fuel. Could this be an airlock or maybe the float or float arm damaged. The needle and trip comp flucuate also. As I said great motor but the fear of it just stopping takes away some of the enjoyment!!

Any help would be great..

My 2004 Punto cuts out when low on juice, between 1/4 tank and reserve line, works fine with a good tank of fuel. Could this be an airlock or maybe the float or float arm damaged. The needle and trip comp flucuate also. As I said great motor but the fear of it just stopping takes away some of the enjoyment!!

Any help would be great..

most likely the clamp holding the fuel pump in place has broken and is allowing your pump to float
lift up the rear seat squab ,remove the 3 philips screws in the plastic cover and see if pump secure
dont use naked flames like fags while doing this

Alternatively -- and this is difficult to explain -- the return section of the pipe, right at the bottom of the pump, isn't quite clipped in properly so that it points toward the tank, rather than back to the pump. This will mean that the swirl pot within the pump isn't able to work correctly with low fuel, leading to fuel surge -- and cutting out.

Back