Technical Problems with brakes

Currently reading:
Technical Problems with brakes

natalio

Hi!

I just got my car a month ago, fiat punto evo 2011 dualogic and been having lots of problem with it. It drives beautifly on highways but in the city it keeps failing.
Even though it has been looked out in a garage and no problems appeared I have so many issues with it its frustrating. I hope I can translate the problems clear as possible...

1. The most recent scary problem is that when I press lightly on the brakes, the car starts juddering aggressively for a few meters and then it suddenly brakes strongly and the engine shuts down.
It happened to me while driving and in a narrow street and I was lucky no one got me. After starting the engine again I can continue driving, but then whenever I press the brakes lightly to slow down and reach a low speed it begins again.
When the engine shuts down it shows the oil warning light, but it is not on whenever driving (also checked the oil nothing is missing)

2. Gear trouble, this problem happened from the begining. Sometimes when I stand in place or when I wait in a traffic light the gear will fail and go to neutral while beeping, then I would try to start the engine again and it might happen again for a few times but eventually it will go away and I continue driving, I took the car to be checked out and they said everything is good.

3. I dropped a small plastic piece to the ac vents (2-3 cm) is it harmfull? I really hope not...

I wonder if anyone can shed light on these problems, its my first car and I dont understand much but I want to.

The dualogic is a manual gearbox, operated by hydraulic servos, for both gear selection and clutch operation. When you brake, it is supposed to disconnect the clutch before a stall, and select lower gears, ready to move away again. It appears that yours is failing to disconnect the clutch, so the brakes are fighting the engine.
Firstly check the brake lights work. If the brake light switch fails, the gearbox does not know you are braking. If that seems ok, check the earth connection at the left rear lamp, as that has a significant effect on dualogic operation.

Hi @natalio :)

As above.. your BRAKES seem fine.. your problem lies with the clutch and gearbox system

The brake switch and taillights are employed as Controls for the 'Drivesystem'

If all brakelights work ok

You need to get the fluid level checked in the Clear tank..sat on top of gearbox

Let us know what you find :)

Problem 1 and 2 are both likely related to an issue with the duologic gearbox. These are notoriously difficult to work on so a garage might fob you off saying everything is fine if they drive it up and down the yard and it all seems ok. Probably needs plugging in to see if any faults have been stored.

The “oil light” on any car will always come on when the engine stops, it’s not a level indicator it’s an oil pressure light, so if the engine stops so does the oil pump and the oil pressure disappears hence the light coming on and going away when you restart the engine.

Problem 3. No I’m sure you’ll be fine with that just forget about it

Hi!
I checked it out, had an oil leakage from the gearbox, as I understood from them there is no way to fix it, so the gearbox needs to be replaced?

Thanks for replying!

Hi!
I checked it out, had an oil leakage from the gearbox, as I understood from them there is no way to fix it, so the gearbox needs to be replaced?

Thanks for replying!
Unless the casing is cracked, there will always be a way to fix it. However, the labour is likely to be more than a replacement gearbox. This is often a better route if the expertise to rebuild a gearbox is not there.

Back