Technical Problem with heater

Currently reading:
Technical Problem with heater

I have a heater problem - hopefully someone can help. The heater dial (the one on the dash which allows you to change from cold to hot) felt funny or stiff this morning. Like something might have gotten stuck in it... I giggles it a little and it turned over to hot. But when I turned on the car the heater didn't heat up. I'm hoping the heater itself isn't broken and maybe it's a issue with the switch. Does anyone have any ideas about this? IS is a 2003 diesel fiat punto by the way. Thanks, Andy

does the heater actually turn on...can you hear the fan kicking in...does it work on all 4 settings...my heater only worked on number 4..number 1 2 and 3 wouldnt work..my problem was the heater resistor £10 5 mins to replace...if its the heater resister you could get one of ebay or a scrappy. i was lucky as i garage 5 mins from me breaks the mk2 quite regular...i hope it is the resistor as its an easy job to do and cheap.

Thanks Gvlmmr,
Yep, the heater does turn on and it blows air okay - the problem is that the air is cold. So maybe it's not the same problem as yourself... That said - the heater never really worked on 1 or 2 - I always just turned it onto 3 or 4 when I needed it.

Thanks Ziggy, that sounds doable [and it will give me a chance to change the centre console light - which has been gone for a few months]. I'll try this over the weekend. Once I'm in behind the dial hopefully it'll be easy enough to see what the problem is. Thanks again!

Hi Ziggy, I took off the console last night (pic below) and all seems fine. When I turn the dial a mechanism behind it pulls a metal wire, which I presume leads to the heater fan. There is a drag when I turn the dial - it feels like maybe something is obstructing it at the other end... Any idea how best to proceed? I have no clue where this wire lead or how to get access to the heater itself. Thanks again for your help.

... Sorry, the picture was coming out funny so I deleted it... It's probably not helpful anyway, there doesn't seem to be a problem at that end...

Last edited:
Back