Technical Parking bulb issue

Currently reading:
Technical Parking bulb issue

steveo99

Just failed MOT on one small issue....when the headlights are switched on, the parking light on drivers side is on momentarily then dims and goes off...the other side is still on at a low level...tried new bulb etc

Also get a message on the display saying 'check parking lights'

DRL are ok

Feels expensive!

Fiat 500L 1.3 Diesal automatic with glass roof etc

That will be switched by the body computer

Have you owned it for years.. know its had no lighting work before..?

Some modern cars use 'different' lighting

The 2 door 500 is a regular on here for weird faults

Initially though..
I would be disconnecting the battery for an hour... the 'reboot' might just be enough

i solved it today...i noticed that the rear parking light was out as well and when i decided to check it out the screws were loose...someone had been in previously...anyway looking at the bulb used for 'stop' and 'parking' it had just one filament!

So some bright spark had changed the bulb for a single bulb instead of a dual filament bulb causing a weird fault with the front parking/side light.

How does the brain know a bulb is bad...it must measure the resistance or current drawn at some point so can warn the driver via the display.

No credit for Halfords that failed the mot as they were mystified why when u turned the steering wheel the 'direction' fogs went on left or right, and the bulb in the front parking was dim and then went out.....they thought it might be a loom fault ...omg

anyway purchased 2 new bulbs for £3 and now all working

having taken the 500L to bits in places...its not a bad car to work on...

Back