General Panic buying...

Currently reading:
General Panic buying...

I'm going to fill up all of my roadworthy cars today (4). It's a bit panicky and it will cost over £200! Luckily it was payday on Monday.

I'm taking Mrs Disgusted and Rocky (the very angry Jack Russell) down to the Embarrassing Gypsy Caravan in the west of Cornwall for a week at Easter.

So, any one of the cars would have enough fuel to get down there (350 miles), but not enough to get back.

I wanted to take the Alfa 166, even though Mrs Disgusted refuses to drive it (she says that it is ecologically unsound & a hooligan's car).

If I took the Looser-Cruiser (diesel Multipla), I might be able to blag some red diesel* from our uncle John's farm down there. At least we'd be able to get home again.

Decisions, decisions...

* note for any HMRC staff, this is a joke of course.

Take Multipla, stop at Asda when it gets half empty and fill up with cooking oil....... When it gets half empty again fill up with diesel etc etc.

This is no cheaper but the smell is nicer.....

I've done it. I panicked and bought.

Alfa 166 £65

Punto £34 (I don't know why I did that, that's the car the offspring use, I should let them pay)

Alfa S4 Spider £31 (only super unleaded left by the time I got there with that one)

Multipla £62 (smelly diesel)

Associated costs:

£3 4 bags of Maltesers (1 per visit)
£4.99 special offer picnic blanket
£1.99 Magic Tree
£0.20 Air line
£4.95 "Gentlemen's" magazine*

* Classic Cars, what were you thinking?

I had to laugh at Tesco today. Loads of wallies in a big queue at the petrol station, queue must of been 80 cars long at least.

.............Associated costs:

£3 4 bags of Maltesers (1 per visit)
£4.99 special offer picnic blanket
£1.99 Magic Tree
£0.20 Air line
£4.95 "Gentlemen's" magazine*

* Classic Cars, what were you thinking?

Crikey, we'll all be panic buying Maltesers shortly......

Whilst trying to ignore the idiots panic buying, what is the actual deal with popping a bit of cooking oil in the JTD?
Anybody here do it?

We run about 20-30% veg oil in ours unless the weather is cold. there is a school of thought that says you shouldn't run it in common rail diesels.
Forget the argument that diesels were designed to run on peanut oil as it's irrelevant as the diesel engine has been designed to run on diesel.
Ours runs fine on that mix , I used to have a pug 205 that I ran on 100% in the summer and 20% in the winter and it was fine until I got greedy in the winter and ran it on 100% and the pump let go (seized solid), second hand pump for £25 and away it went again.

In winter the oil becomes much thicker and running it in winter you can hear the low pressure pump in the tank having to work much harder than normal.

It has totally different lubrication properties than diesel due to it being thicker. Therefore components will have a shorter service life. This has to be balanced against the cost of the oil, veg oil has shot up in price over the last 10 years , when I started running it the cost was approx 40p/litre on a 1 litre tub now costing approx £1.40 on a 1 litre tub.

Tesco are selling veg oil at £11 / 10 litres and sun oil at £10 for 2x5 litres. =£1 per litre. Cash and carry outlets may offer it cheaper.
Used oil is widely available from chip shops and so on but needs much work to clean/ wash it. I ran used in the pug having passed it through and old shirt, sheet , sock or whatever I could get hold of but still had to squueze the gunk out of the filter every few hundred miles.

over the 15000 miles we have done in the multi with an average of 20% oil in the fuel gives a saving of approx £120. Not massive savings and most people would sooner spend the £120 and run proper diesel.

Obviously running a higher percentage would amplify the savings but would further shorten service life.

With anything like this doing as much research on the net as possible will help the individual to decide what is best for them.

As I am totally opposed to the mindless panic buying I made sure I filled up just before it started. It was touch and go judging by the queue behind me....:rolleyes:

Sting in the tail at our local garage. When you get to within two cars lengths of the pumps you see a sign saying 'NO DIESEL' ha haaaa.

I'm trying lard.

At 35p per 500g pack, that equates to 70p/litre.

I'll report back...

Lard should suit the Multipla...but don't buy it all, I use it for hair styling (thank goodness the cool weathers coming back, my flat cap kept slipping off this week)

Back