General Panel Filters

Currently reading:
General Panel Filters

Are the K & N pannel filters (in the air box) any good?
do they improve sound / performance

and what is the general stance on insurance with panel filters.. your just replacing a part not really modifying, im with swift cover and there is no mention on panel filters but they dont cover induction kits (these are two different things right)

thanks for any help in advanced :)

oh forgot to mention this is for a 1.4 8v grande punto dynamic sport.

car is also up for service so i wanted to maybe replace the panel filter before they swap it out for a paper one again (save some moneys)

Last edited:
I have got a piper cross pannel filter in my mjet, i brought it for the fact that it never needs replacing rather than power increase or noise. A standard filter costs about £15 and the piper cross one ws only £30 so if i keep it for two years it has payed me back.

As regards power increase i have noticed nothing at all, noise wise i can hear the turbo whisle slightly more but nothing mind blowing. As for insurance don't tell them it's just a standard comsumable part, it would be like telling them you have put uprated brake pads on the car. They don't care and won't check any way.

im the same as above, i used a k and n in my mjet to save money in stead of replacing it every year. but didnt notice any power gains maybe a little smoother but i guess thats to be expected after a service.

ive got a K&N Panel filter on my 1.4 16v
its done nothing to noise but i have noticed a very small improvement in acceleration in the higher gears but its nothing special.
fuel consumption seems to have dropped by 2 but that might be because im driving nearer rush hour :(

ive heard that bmc's filter is better

hope that helps

any better sound?

and what did you do about insurance?

No it makes no difference at all, i have one, the only benefit is that you clean it rather than replace it all the time, and i'm pretty sure you don't need to tell the insurance, its not a modification, your just replacing the panel filter with a better quality panel filter, its not a performance part or anything.

Panel filters in an otherwise standard (low powered) car won't make much difference. But neither will expensive induction kits. They might help once you change a few things (remap, flowed head, cam, etc).

As for the insurance - TELL THEM EVERYTHING!!!!

Sure, you may think it's not a mod, but if you ever need to make a claim, you can be DAMN sure their assessors will go over your car with a fine tooth comb and they will try to find ANYTHING that you haven't declared on your insurance in order for them to avoid paying out on a claim......:eek:

Panel filters in an otherwise standard (low powered) car won't make much difference. But neither will expensive induction kits. They might help once you change a few things (remap, flowed head, cam, etc).

As for the insurance - TELL THEM EVERYTHING!!!!

Sure, you may think it's not a mod, but if you ever need to make a claim, you can be DAMN sure their assessors will go over your car with a fine tooth comb and they will try to find ANYTHING that you haven't declared on your insurance in order for them to avoid paying out on a claim......:eek:

see what your sayin but they gonna do you for up-rated spark plugs too!? your replacing a panel filter with... a panel filter, its not a mod, its just maintenance.

It would be like putting Michelin tyres on instead of Pirelli's and declaring them. Putting parts from a different make on your car isn't modifying if they were there to begin with.

Your car probably came with a fivers worth of supermarket fuel in the tank, if you use Vpower, do you have to tell the insurance? Of course you don't.

Back