General P.A.S Hose leak ( P reg 1.9tds )

Currently reading:
General P.A.S Hose leak ( P reg 1.9tds )

anh167

Childminders Lapdog
Hi all, a while since I have needed to call on your collective help but the wife :worship: has come home with the power steering pump whirling away.
Had a look and fluid level right down, and further inspection shows that the main hose coming off the top of the pump, and then going across the front of the engine, round the gearbox and round to the rack, is leaking the fluid.

Can anyone tell me if this is a Fiat only part please, or if I should be able to pick one up from a motor-factors.

I start a new job tomorrow afternoon and sods law, my wife has got to take my to Hammersmith in the evening.........two cars needed and 1 decides to put a spanner in the works :bang::bang:

Cheers all

Hi mate,

To be honest I would have thought it will be a fiat only part. Eper shows it as £137.53! Yikes! Might be worth ringing a motor factors or two just to see if they have anything that may work and is cheaper.

Alan

https://www.fiatforum.com/lets-talk-fiat/99845-power-steering-fluid-replacement.html

If there's a leak, get it fixed pronto. Steering fluid is flammable, and a leak is quite likely to spray/splash onto something hot ...

I had a steering fluid leak whilst camping in St David's (West Wales) and I was advised by a Fiat dealer, by phone, that I should just keep it topped up and drive home. When I went to my usual garage, they advised that I shouldn't drive it at all until fixed. They had had an Alfa with a steering fluid leak, and after the flames died down the engine bay just looked like a big blob of wax.

Thanks for the replies. I took it into my local garage and they sorted out the leak. They had a new high pressure hose made up by Pirtek and fitted it that day. £140 not too bad I thought until later that day driving around. If I turned the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock, a rough grinding / vibration noise could be heard and felt. No further fluid loss so suspect that whilst the wife was driving around when the fluid had been leaking, then damage has been done to the pump and/or rack.
Having recently lost my job and trying to find a new one, thats all I need. Expense I cannot afford and no vehicle to get to interviews in.
Thers a word beginning with B that comes to mind but I expect the editors would remove it. I think you probably know what I am thinking at the mo:bang:

Anyway, have a good day all

Back