Technical Overheating Tipo

Currently reading:
Technical Overheating Tipo

[email protected]

Help! My 'M' reg 1.6 Tipo is overheating. It's getting through a hell of a lot of water (about half a litre every 50 miles!). Any suggestions? Please bear in mind I'm not a mechanic by any means. It may be relevant that oil was put in the water reservoir a couple of months ago! It wasn't run like that and was flushed through thouroughly.
:confused:
Cheers

Thanks, will do. I had checked for leaks - nothing to explain that amount of lost fluid. I have suspicions I may be losing it through the exhaust, which gets very smoky sometimes. If it is the head gasket, is it a job for a bodger?

it is possible that is bearing on the waterpump, and there you lose water and that is ordinary breakdown

Update. I have now found a leak! It only seems to start when the fan comes on, but then it drips out quite fast. I can't see exactly where it's coming out, but it's somewhere near the belt. Any ideas please?

Help! My 'M' reg 1.6 Tipo is overheating. It's getting through a hell of a lot of water (about half a litre every 50 miles!). Any suggestions? Please bear in mind I'm not a mechanic by any means. It may be relevant that oil was put in the water reservoir a couple of months ago! It wasn't run like that and was flushed through thouroughly.
:confused:
Cheers
Your water pump is shot lad, more likley to be that than anything else, just changed mine 4 week ago, common problem on fiats.

Last edited:
Sorry to thread hi-jack but this might be similar to the problem I'm having, having finally got my car back on the road after the catalogue of disasters it appeared to be overheating. When it's hot and I'm sat in traffic I'm in the habit of whacking the heaters on full blast (and pointing the fans out the open windows!) to try and knock some of the heat off.

I noticed last week that the fans were blowing cold, I mentioned this in passing to my girlfriend and she mentioned she'd had a similar problem and that I should check the water on the radiator... it was 3:30am at the time so we stopped at a garage and threw a good chunk of water in as it appeared to be bone dry.

Greenbriggs9 mentioned water pumps and aforementioned pumps being near the belts, I still need to get a replacement drive belt as the one I have is a little too large (search my posts, you'll see why!)

Could this 'too big' drive belt be a factor in the problem at all?

Is your water pump belt a poly vee belt? Does it drive the PAS aswell? If so, i might know a guy who can get you thr right belt.

Back