General oopsss, oil level and coolant - trip to scotland

Currently reading:
General oopsss, oil level and coolant - trip to scotland

Well, I admit I neglected the coolant issue a bit, and checked it the other day, and it has turned a dark colour, not black, but certainly tinted and smells a bit more like my dirty oil than it should lol

Also it has started bubbling and gurgling at normal temperature, I notice when I come to a stop. I think the pressure cap is leaking slightly as I can hear it hiss and smell coolant slightly as well!!!!

Temps are still fine, as is running, but I bought a compression tester yesterday, and will give it a test tomorrow evening.

What compression values am I looking for? I read a good thread here but can't find it now :(

Could anything else cause coolant gunk, darkening, smelling, and leaking/bubbling?

Kristian

Last edited:
Well, its too cold and dark tonight, I'll loose my boot in the wind :D

However, I think the gurgling was that, 6 days ago, coolant level was ok, tonight it was almost empty in the tank pretty much!!

Topped it up with water for now, but im not going to drive it far until i test it on Saturday.

The coolant system won't have any bearing on cylinder compression results will it? Doubt it highly, but I've never done this thing before :)

Kristian

LOL, when I said I'm not going to drive it far, that was a silly thing to say.

I just took it up the shop (2m rt) and going up the hill the Engine warning light came on, it stuttered, and after about 30s sorted itself out again :eek:

The temp was quite low (60c) so i hope it was an airlock, but its off road till sorted now. Could an airlock cause the Engine light too come on? Also at idle the exhaust "phutt phutts", I noticed as I was looking for steam ;)

Kristian

Back