Online Rip Offs...everywhere

Currently reading:
Online Rip Offs...everywhere

Has anyone noticed that ITV have started charging for some programmes on itv player? Only 79p for most, but why? They never have before, so what's changed?

Also, Microsoft & Xbox. Iv never had an xbox, but when I found out 2 ways they are making MORE money it shocked me a bit:

1. Charging to change your name...something that requires 0 administration what so ever.

2. charging for more than one LIVE account if another person wants to use the same xbox, even in the same household.

All money grabbing.

Bit of a rant, but noticed things like this a lot lately.

does the 79p get rid of adverts?

not sure - they never used to have adverts though. Then they did, now they want to charge. Channel 5 dont have adverts online, though they do show 80 seconds worth before hand.
Admiral charging 8 quid odd to administer a change of address you've done
yourself online takes the Mick...

this is exactly the type of thing i mean. Small charges that must be making them thousands. Surely the insurance prices are enough already, never mind charges like that - I thought doing things online was supposed to cut out the need for a person to sit at the other end changing things like this.

No dave I don't think it does.

And I agree about the xbox live thing.
They don't care if you only have one console it's per live player. Charging to
change name though is bonkers...

Its an absolute joke.

1. Buy console - around £180
2. Buy game - £40
3. I want to go online - £39.99 for the year.
4. Oh, my partner wants to go online - £39.99 for the year.
5. **** i dont like my name - oops £5 please

Money grabbing everywhere and anywhere possible - good money making strategy, but a bit obvious to the customer lol.

well if you want to change the world then vote with your feet, Sony's Playstation network is free as is Nintendo's network most companies/websites won't even let you change your name, ever!

ITV charging for content.... do you know how much it costs to make a TV program? one, half hour program is costing hundreds of thousands of pounds and the TV companies can no longer rely in the advertising revenue because 1, its not there with even the biggest companies struggling and 2, people turning to downloadable content to, which makes delivering those adverts very difficult, you have to remember ITV is independent and self funding so it has a right to charge for its content

you pay £8 to change your address with admiral however how much money did you save compared to the next nearest quote companies trim the fat to get the prices down they have to start charging for silly things, costs a lot of money to develop web applications which link in with the insurance data base and their own data bases they have to claw it back some how?

although interestingly I changed my address with admiral recently and I phoned up they never charged me a penny ?

What I would like to know is where this attitude of everything should be Free comes from? everyone has bills to pay even big companies

Last edited:
Admiral are cheap compared to Hastings Direct. Cost me £39 to change the reg number, another £39 quid to change it again and £79 for temporary cover on a courtesey car. Would be cheaper to cancel and start a new policy!

That's interesting guessing that's why they are usually at the top of compare sites cheap policy and making the money back in admin..

well if you want to change the world then vote with your feet, Sony's Playstation network is free as is Nintendo's network most companies/websites won't even let you change your name, ever!

ITV charging for content.... do you know how much it costs to make a TV program? one, half hour program is costing hundreds of thousands of pounds and the TV companies can no longer rely in the advertising revenue because 1, its not there with even the biggest companies struggling and 2, people turning to downloadable content to, which makes delivering those adverts very difficult, you have to remember ITV is independent and self funding so it has a right to charge for its content

you pay £8 to change your address with admiral however how much money did you save compared to the next nearest quote companies trim the fat to get the prices down they have to start charging for silly things, costs a lot of money to develop web applications which link in with the insurance data base and their own data bases they have to claw it back some how?

although interestingly I changed my address with admiral recently and I phoned up they never charged me a penny ?

What I would like to know is where this attitude of everything should be Free comes from? everyone has bills to pay even big companies

You're right in what you say mate. I'm not saying things should be free, by any means, everyone has to make a living. But it's just lately, a lot of things are becoming more expensive with no apparent reason. This isn't something im clued up on, financial things aren't my strong point, and with itv, im sure there is a perfectly good reason. But still, with no warning to the customer, sometimes it makes you think wtf :O why.

That's interesting guessing that's why they are usually at the top of compare sites cheap policy and making the money back in admin..

You've got it in one, the insurer I'm with isn't always the cheapest, but far better when it comes to customer service, hidden charges (or not in their case) and general cover.

Tbf I would not be with admiral if it wasn't for my partner being 21, and having had a license less than 2 years as it is we insure both her car and my car for less than a grand multiple policies would have us paying about 1200 if we both went with the cheapest, which I'm pretty sure would land us in expensive admin land anyway.

You've got it in one, the insurer I'm with isn't always the cheapest, but far better when it comes to customer service, hidden charges (or not in their case) and general cover.

Not always possible though. I've been with Tesco, and whenever I needed something, they were great, however to get insured on my 528i, it was over £3,000 this year. Admiral were £640.

Back