Currently reading:
Technical Oil Advice

Galilio_Mad

hello everyone

i`m seeking advice regarding the oil grade to use on my car
its 93 1.6 i.e with about 119000 miles on the clock
now i`m using Shell Helix 20w-50 mineral oil
i was thinking about changing to synthetic oil
there`s is a french made oil ( Total Quartz 5w-40 ) which a lot of my friends use on various cars, reliable and lasts much longer

i know the manual says 15w-40 but i couldnt find any brand that sell that grade

so is it ok to change to synthetic oil ?
if it is, is there any procedures to do that? like flushing the old oil with a engine detergent or something ?

any help will be appreciated, thanx in advance

Since last December I am using on my Tempra 1.6, with now 180.000 km, Castrol Magnatec 10W40, it's just fine, it's semi-synthetic and a bit thinner at low temperatures than the recommended one, which was 15W40 and was mineral.
Magnatec costs a bit but my car doesn't "eat" much oil so I am happy in this way, also because semi-syntethic should last longer than mineral and better protect the engine.

again, couldn`t find eiher 10w-40 or 15w40 in the market

i think i`ll just have to go with 5w-40 fully synthetic, my engine is in good condition with no leaks or burnt oil

I can't believe that you can't find 10-40 or 15-40 oil. Shell do Helix Plus in 10/40 semi-synthetic and Helix Super in 15-40 mineral. CastrolMagnatec is 10/40 semi-synthetic and 15-40 "synthetic base". Plus similar options from any number of manyfacturers and suppliers - Carlube, Comma, Morris, Granville....

Back