General Noise.... water pump?

Currently reading:
General Noise.... water pump?

Papi

]Hi,guys i`m novice. I need your help i have irritating noise in the engine bay.
Initially thought is was power steering pump or alternator. Today i disconnect both of them and sound is still here.
Hear it.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• FIAT.zip
    110.9 KB · Views: 211
Petrol! Punto MK1 1.2 60 hp, 99`

Last edited:
Tommorow will review belt tensioner & will post ;)
10x lads!!

Cambelt tensioner has been replaced, a noise is still there.... Any suggestions? :rolleyes::bang:

1-Yes, I do removed alternator belt.... no effect.
2-The sound coming around Timing belt. One month ago i removed flywheel protector which is positioned next to oil sump because of oil sump leaking.
Is possible that sound coming from flywheel protector if this protector is not placed properly?

Attachments

• 1064555_669981583138592_2734235667142216200_o.jpg
    1064555_669981583138592_2734235667142216200_o.jpg
    901.4 KB · Views: 54
1-Yes, I do removed alternator belt.... no effect.
2-The sound coming around Timing belt. One month ago i removed flywheel protector which is positioned next to oil sump because of oil sump leaking.
Is possible that sound coming from flywheel protector if this protector is not placed properly?

possible - YES

:idea: remove that guard..start engine:)

IF it's all quiet up + down rev range, then remount it but with a little silicone sealant as a "bed",

Charlie

Guys, yesterday i removed flywheel guard but the noise still there. Could be from oil pump???:confused::confused: I have no idea....yet!
Hot or cold engine never mind, something scraping.

Last edited:
well certainly starting to run out of things this could be lol.. i presume you have tried holding the clutch in while stationary so the box is disconnected form engine, if noise is still there it kinda removes any bearings inside the box as being the culprit. Could be the water pump as you first thought - considering how cheap they are and how easy timing these engines is then why not just change it, you know its done then and you need not worry about water pumps for a good long time.

One week ago mechanic replaced timing belt bearing and checked water pump it was OK. He think it`s some resonanse... Is possible this sound to come from oil pump?

Last edited:
well, when he checked it all he can really of done is turn it by hand and checked it felt like it span smooth. Not quite the same as having belt tension on it and spinning at engine speeds. Not saying it is the water pump, just that its possible - i would say in future, if you change the timing belt on anything, just change the water pump, any belt tensioners and idlers at the same time, i mean you (or your mechanic) is in there anyway it just makes sense to do it then.

Oil pump.... Mmmmm, i guess its a possibility but i'd say very unlikely - not ever heard of one failing ever on these engines so i highly doubt it, but possible? yes i suppose so.

Seems like there are 2 noises... it seems generally a bit tappy, and then there is the lighter, "chirping" noise.

I guess it is the second one you mean... but in general things do not sound very smooth.

Normally to identify a noise you touch something like a big screwdriver on different placed, and put your ear against it to hear the vibration.

I would check the valve clearances since it is an old engine now, and you adjust the clearances by changing shims. But the noise you are investigating is something rotating with a bearing, like a pump, pulley or (if connected) alternator.

Also some noises can be amplified by the gearbox bellhousing, there is (I think) a soft aluminium cover plate that can be bent and cause contact inside. But I think it is at the other end of the engine from your noise.

Could be exhaust or manifold!? I found the same thread, the sound causes because of loose starter.
P.S First 4-6 minutes of driving, the sound is not heard.

Last edited:
Back