no signal on tom tom iq :(

Currently reading:
no signal on tom tom iq :(

i bought a tom tom iq route xl just before xmas from halfrauds.was all good. yesterday it wouldnt pick up no signal, no sattelites at all.i was trying to get to a place and i ended up having to stop around and ask people in the cold haha.anyway, i went to halfrauds and the lad said i have to plug it into the laptop and update it.

i tried this at home and i found tom tom home quiete confusing and not sure what id needed to update. i tried a few options but didnt work. can somebody tell me what i need to update free? to get my signal back?or is it faulty maby? my brother has a tom tom quiete a few years and hes never updated anything, never put it on pc to update anything and its never lost signal at all. please help:)

Your TomTom should work "out the box" without any updates. To see if it's faulty or not, leave the unit outside for 20 mins (ideally in the back garden so it doesn't get nicked) so that the unit can "see" the GPS satellites. Once it receives signals from a couple of satelites it will work out where the rest of them should be in relation to itself and display your exact location. It may be an idea just to leave the unit on displaying the signal graph.

If this fails, then it is a faulty unit and Halfords should replace it.

i tried again but had no satellights and nothing picking up. took it back, they charged it up tried again and still didnt work. they replaced it with a new one:). i wonder if it was a faulty tom tom or something id done.owell haha.

If this fails, then it is a faulty unit and Halfords should replace it.

Not quite true.
Mine went t1ts up whilst on hols, first day of a bank hol as well - so I had to go 3 days before anyone answered a phone.
Same situation, switched the machine on & it never found a sat - I had it sat outside forever as well.
Fortunately, I have google maps on my phone.
Managed to find Tomtom numbers on the internet - not easy on a phone either.
They suggested I try a hard reset first.
Had my unit got a hole in the bottom I would have tried this first.
I had to press and hold the on button, the unit will power on and after a while it powers off. Release the button then power on, this resets the unit.

Apparently, if the unit isn't used for a while & the battery is allowed to go flat, it might sometimes confuse the unit - hence the reset.

i work at halfords and its amazing how many people bring sat navs back and the unexperienced people there automatically think ooooooh it needs an update. if a sat nav goes wrong before turning straight to te updates which cost people money, the systems all have a reset button which can more often then not restore the factory settings and cure the problems. pissees me off a bit when people that dont know what theyre talking bout are employed by a business that were once a good reputable company :bang:

there is also a tomtom help line which can be contacted by halfords staff to quote to them what problem your having, if they cnt fix it over the phne they tell u to send it away 4 repoair or replace the system. save messing people about doing pointless updates wasting money :rolleyes:

I have to drive around before mine picks up a signal. Stupid tall buildings surrounding the area cause problems.

Back