Technical Newbie with a Punto Problem!

Currently reading:
Technical Newbie with a Punto Problem!

R9UKE

Hi guys,

Nice to be here, seems a great forum :)

On thursday I bought my first Fiat. I have a Renault Mégane and Avantime and I just needed something cheap to use and abuse over winter. It was traded in to a car dealer friend of mine. A 1998 Punto 1.2 S 60. 100,000 miles, full service history, one owner from new... seems very well cared for!

It was traded in with a misfire, and was pretty lumpy on tickover. Same symptons as when the Avantime needs a new ignition coil (a regular occurrence). Anyway, it drove home fine, then coming in to my cul de sac it lost a lot of power and spluttered to a halt. The petrol light was on so I stuck 5 litres in and hoped for the best. Unfortunately not. The car now refuses to start. Starter motor turns quickly and as it should, but the engine doesn't show the slightest hint of starting.

I have read A LOT on here about crankshaft sensors, HT Leads and coils. My problem is that I don't want this to become a money pit. I'm really reluctant to go and buy new HT leads only for them not to work. Then shell out more for a new coil, then it doesn't work... before I know it the car owes me more than £300.

I would do the usual faulty coil test if only I could get the thing started! The Avantime would always start with one (even two) faulty coils which kind of ruled those out for me, but then again, it's a 6 cylinder car.

Any ideas would be gratefully received - perhaps a vote of the most likely offending part that I should replace?

In the meantime, if anybody in Belfast wants to come and pick up a Punto with 7 months MOT and 1 month tax, you're more than welcome for £250!

Has it had a cam belt change? First thing i would check is the timeing(and that the belts on!) its free! Theres a guide i think on the forum, if its turning over nice and fast you can rule out the battery and starter.

Easiest thing to check is the TDC sensor.

Make sure it won't start!

Check for spark and fuel past the injector when cranked. (Pull off the air filter and look directly down the throttle body, you should see fuel pooling on the -- closed -- butterfly).

If no spark and no fuel past the injector, it has to be the TDC sensor. Cheap and easy to replace.

Get back. A "most likely" answer is likely to cost you a lot more money than a logical, thorough, approach.

To run, an engine needs fuel, air, spark and for everything to happen at the right time. Take it from there.

Easiest thing to check is the TDC sensor.

Make sure it won't start!

Check for spark and fuel past the injector when cranked. (Pull off the air filter and look directly down the throttle body, you should see fuel pooling on the -- closed -- butterfly).

If no spark and no fuel past the injector, it has to be the TDC sensor. Cheap and easy to replace.

Get back. A "most likely" answer is likely to cost you a lot more money than a logical, thorough, approach.

To run, an engine needs fuel, air, spark and for everything to happen at the right time. Take it from there.

Thanks guys. Weather is hideous today but I gotta brave it and get out there. Timing belt was changed at 83k miles. I've had TDC sensor problems with Renaults before, cleaning them with brake fluid cured the problem. Will update soon, thanks for the advice :)

Update. Just looked in the boot and found an old ECU. I sense trouble.

Code light comes on for a few seconds then goes off. TDC sensor was COMPLETELY coated in oil. Cleaned the whole thing, nice shiny tip on it now. Left the battery disconnected overnight, had every thing crossed this morning and..... nothing :mad:

Will be towed to my mechanic tomorrow, will keep you all updated of course :D

Hey guys! Update - Towed it to my mechanic. Instant diagnosis, faulty fuel pump. Been trying to find one for the past 3 days - not easy!

Cheers. Yeh a £30k Renault that didn't know what it was was never going to set sales records...

They fooked up by offering next to no model options and making it compete with the Vel Satis. What a bore box that was. :p

Back then I was in the market for a plush car and the Aventime was well in the frame, but it was sure to depreciate like last night's half eaten take-away so I kept well away.

Back