Technical newbie turbo problem?

Currently reading:
Technical newbie turbo problem?

dave13

Hi everyone just been playing with my multipla and fitted a new egr valve took it for a blast down the road and it squeals like a pig :D I think it could be turbo on its way out. Does anyone know how easy it is to change one and the best place to get one from. It only squeals when you really boot it an get it in the top end of the rev range it pulls ok and no engine lights are on (y)
On another topic now ive put the battery back on the air bag lights are on is there an easy way to turn them off :slayer: many thanks Dave:worship:

Check air pipes that are pressurised by the turbo are all leak free and hose clips tight.
I'm pretty sure you need a scan tool or mes to turn off air bag light but someone else may know a trick.

Regarding the squeak: Don't be too quick to think turbo, these animals are known to squeak from the auxiliary belt, the one that drives the alternator. Had mine replaced when I did my timing belt, two weeks later it's squeaking again. There's something about these belts that seem to slip and cause that squeak. You could try the old mechanics trick of using a long screw driver or long metal rod and listening to it.
If you're not sure how to do it, it's pretty simple and you'll be amazed at what you can hear.
METHOD: Put one end of the rod or bar onto the area of the engine you are investigating, place the other end onto the lobe of your ear (it may be prudent to use a piece of cloth on the 'ear' end to protect your lug 'oles.
You will hear all manner of whirrs and rumblings and as you get to learn what each bit sounds like you get to better diagnose whats going on.
You'll need either a good mucka whose got a reader and can switch off the airbag light or if you are techy enough you can buy a cheap reader and do it yourself.

If the "squeal" sounds like a distant ambulance siren wailing as the engine revs rise, then it's probably your turbo. Mine made that noise for a few years and eventually gave up the ghost - on the way to the Channel Tunnel with family and holiday gear on board :(

If it's more like a classic fanbelt noise, then my money is on Oletimer's suggestion. If a new belt starts squealing again in no time at all, change the aux. belt idler - its axle has probably sagged.

Last edited:
To WMF: how ya doing Mucka?

Yeah, As a matter of course I change mine as a kit: Idler, Adjuster and Belt.
But withing a fortnight it's squeaking again. The kit I bought wasn't the cheapest but it doesn't seem to matter which setup you get they start to squeak again far too quickly.

Dave13: Have you resolved your squeak yet?

Is it your turbo or what?

Cheers

Oletimer

Last edited:
Back