Ducato newbie Intro and woes

Currently reading:
Ducato newbie Intro and woes

Hi everyone,

i am from Cork Ireland and just bought a 1996 LHD Fiat Ducato Toskana 50 campervan imported to Ireland in 2005. its in very good condition but needs some TLC hence me joining your forum and now my forum:).
There is the 1.9TD 82hp engine in it and the vehicle unladen is 2300kg and shes goes alright not too sluggish empty but this may chnge when loaded!!!
the temp goes up to approx 70 and drops if cruising to nearly 50 again , i presume the Thermostat is shot, so does anyone know of anywhere where you can get one that isnt €75+ delivery please ans also is there anything I can do to prolong the gear box as she is very rattly when under strain so I know she is getting there !! also how easy or hard is it to fix ie recondition the box if I needed.
the rad is crumbling but at least this is only €100 on ebay for one and I can get a water pump also for approx €100 delivered so if you know of anywhere cheaper for the pump also I would be extremely grateful.
ill do the work myself and save a :yum:few quid!!:yum:worship:

Hi everyone,

i am from Cork Ireland and just bought a 1996 LHD Fiat Ducato Toskana 50 campervan imported to Ireland in 2005. its in very good condition but needs some TLC hence me joining your forum and now my forum:).
There is the 1.9TD 82hp engine in it and the vehicle unladen is 2300kg and shes goes alright not too sluggish empty but this may chnge when loaded!!!
the temp goes up to approx 70 and drops if cruising to nearly 50 again , i presume the Thermostat is shot, so does anyone know of anywhere where you can get one that isnt €75+ delivery please ans also is there anything I can do to prolong the gear box as she is very rattly when under strain so I know she is getting there !! also how easy or hard is it to fix ie recondition the box if I needed.
the rad is crumbling but at least this is only €100 on ebay for one and I can get a water pump also for approx €100 delivered so if you know of anywhere cheaper for the pump also I would be extremely grateful.
ill do the work myself and save a :yum:few quid!!:yum:worship:
Hi Olan.

Unsure if you had fixed it all now?

I would look into getting a new radiator and waterpump.
Perhaps a radiator flush first?

You can pull out the thermostat(temporary) to eliminate as the culprit.

Too Hot is the enemy of the diesel engine. ....unless you like cruising at 50?

1. Some things don't last for ever.

Hope you resolve the heat issue!?

Hi IceVovo,

Not started yet but have new Rad & thermostat ready to go in thanks once I get a chance to get at it properly.
I don’t how I would pull out the thermostat -temporarily from the housing it sits in ?? its looks like in the new I got its fixed in there permanently. Anyway thanks for the ideas and replying, I think the water pump is ok as I see movement in the reservoir tank when its running. I have a flush to put through it as you suggested and will do that first to get all the crud out before I put in the new components .
I was wondering is there any sensors on the system that would give you these reading?? my fans don,t seem to kick in either -I assume or do you reckon that's because it's not reaching temp for them to kick in?

Thanks again and will update when I get at it in a few weeks time .

Regards Olan

Hi Olan.

May I add a few thoughts or suggestions.

Modern engines operate at about 80C, so if the temperature indicator is to be believed, your engine is not getting hot enough.
I cannot think why your engine should warm up to 70C then drop back to 50C, particularly as modern wax thermostats are generally more reliable than the ether filled bellows type, which disappeared many years ago. However the thermostat can fail, but I would expect it to fail to open, and the engine to get too hot.

You have already queried the presence of a temperature sensor. I would expect the sensor to be located close to, and on the cylinder block side of the thermostat housing. Probably given the age of the vehicle, the sensor will only have one wire connected. (Later vehicles have two wires one of which is used for an over temperature warning light, and another separate sensor to provide temperature data to the
ECU.)

Is it possible to get a separate indication of engine temperature as a check on the gauge? As a guide 50C is about as high a temperature as you could touch more than briefly, also domestic central heating systems run at about 80C. Simplest way would be an infrared thermometer. We bought one for medical use pre Covid-19, but it can be switched to "object" or "body".

I would not expect your cooling fans to operate until the engine is well over 80C more likely above 90C.

I owned a 1990 Talbot Express, (also a Sevel vehicle) for many years. The cooling fans were controlled by a double thermostat situated at the lower RHS? (memory fading) of the radiator. As an aid to identification, the thermostat measures about 29mm (1"+1/8") across the flats of the hexagon, and has three wires red, white, and black moulded into it.

Perhaps your vehicle is similar. I probably should mention that the thermostat probably controlled the fans via relays. There were several relays hidden behind the instrument panel of my Talbot Express.
[FONT=Liberation Sans, sans-serif][/FONT]​
[FONT=Liberation Sans, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Hi IceVovo,

Not started yet but have new Rad & thermostat ready to go in thanks once I get a chance to get at it properly.
I don’t how I would pull out the thermostat -temporarily from the housing it sits in ?? its looks like in the new I got its fixed in there permanently. Anyway thanks for the ideas and replying, I think the water pump is ok as I see movement in the reservoir tank when its running. I have a flush to put through it as you suggested and will do that first to get all the crud out before I put in the new components .
I was wondering is there any sensors on the system that would give you these reading?? my fans don,t seem to kick in either -I assume or do you reckon that's because it's not reaching temp for them to kick in?

Thanks again and will update when I get at it in a few weeks time .

Regards Olan
Hi Olan.

Good advice from Communicator also.
Thermostats can open at different temperatures.
My diesel...it was 82 deg C with the Original.

As soon as you said temperature coming down when backing off...I have had that experience with a vehicle close to overheating on the freeway unless you backoff.

Removing the thermostat, the absolute way to eliminate this from the possible factors.

But in my instance, it was my old radiator which hadn't been serviced in 8 years and due to various leaks,
had more water than coolant. So crud built up in it.

Flushing wouldn't do the job.
When I took the top tank off my radiator, I found 50 % of the core tubes were blocked. So it only had half the flow from original design. in other words...it was only half working so couldn't handle load.
My radiator was $960 new as it was a 3 row copper core heavy duty....and the core appeared good.
After rodding out the core by myself, reassembling...heat issue solved and temperature gauge never past halfway.

It is a very time consuming process though.
Radiators with the plastic tanks don't last as the plastic eventually goes brittle.
Beware the engine with only water in the radiator.

Hi everyone

does anyone have the THERMOSTAT torque settings for the 1.9 td engine in a 1996 DUCATO please, Id really appreciate them before I bolt it back on!!

regards Olan

hi Varesecrazy,

M8 with 13mm heads there are 3 of them where it bolted to the side of the block below the vacuum pump,
its steel into aluminium so I dont want o strip threads and still get it seated good and strong for gasket!!

thanks olan.

Hi all

could someone recommend workshop manual they use already for 1996 fiat Ducato 1.9td please, I would really appreciate this help so I can do the work to workshop standard with right torques etc. I've seen an emanual one online but had trouble with them sending wrong one before and don't want to give them the money if I can as they took the pee the last time when I wanted a refund and just ignored me!!

regards

Olan.

Thanks everyone

Back