General New Rear Bumper

Currently reading:
General New Rear Bumper

So I feel stupid at the moment, I just bought an 2008 Grande Punto and drove it around all day then when reversing it out of the driveway hit the gatepost and it has caused the passenger side of the rear bumper to come away from the body and bent slightly, kinda surprised cause I wasn't going that fast. I am assuming I am going to have to get a new rear bumper either the same colour or get one repsrayed, I plan on going to a garage to get the work done so just wondering how much people think it might be. Really embarassed with myself right now.

welcome to the forum :wave: dont feel too embarrassed we wont take the micky (too much) you missed a trick you could have always blamed your girl friend/ wife/ mother for the damage ;)

you could ring round a few local breakers and see if they have any grande punto's in your colour

then get them to remove it for you and put it on yourself will take about an hour to do

your local one http://motorhog.co.uk/ is showing a load in ideally you want the paint code so its exactly the same colour yours is on a sliver label under the bonnet on the under side of the lid itself

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-guides/141849-fitting-reverse-parking-sensors.html

you might find you have chipped a bit of paint off where the bumper unclipped from so might need a touch up pen to seal any bared metal to prevent it from rusting

Last edited:
Yeah I don't feel that embarrassed now, I think it was just the fact I was taking my sister and her friends some where when it happened. If someone else had hit the car I would be a bit cheesed off but I wouldn't be angry at myself.

As for the damage now I've had a good look in daylight the corner of the bumper has come off, well my dad pulled it off so he could reverse the car off the driveway to get his car out. the rest of the bumper is fine. Apart from the reverse light and the break light appear to be slightly damaged but still working, I would imagine just a new bumper and a respray to match the rest of the car.

One question is can you buy pre coloured parts from a Fiat dealer or do they come as generic colours to be sprayed. Also if this was given to a garage to do the work how long are we talking roughly to get it done ?

I am tempted to look on eBay or try local breakers and see what I can get hold of but when it comes to fitting in myself I am thinking that it might be out of my league, Is it a difficult job or can someone with very little knowledge do it, considering there is lights involved ..

Thanks again for all the help.

Also just a few more questions/queries.

Under the wheel arch appears to be a cover or some kind of bumper attaching section that has come off on the near side rear. Is this simply called a Wheel arch cover, also behind the bumper there is a harder black plastic that has a slight crack on it, I'm not sure what part that is or if it part of the bumper when purchased.

I'm going to a garage tomorrow morning to get a quote on prices but obviously I want to have a rough idea of what to expect.

be far easier to get some photos uploaded so we can see what we are looking at ;)

you say you have damaged the brake light?

there isnt much that holds the back bumper on

there is a black plastic strip across the back of the car

and 2 arch liners

the plastic strip is pop riveted in place which is diy able as long as you have a decent drill, drill bits and a rivet gun

http://eper.fiatforum.com/eper/navi...3&WINDOW_ID=1&SGRP_COD=27&SGS_COD=0&DRW_NUM=2

http://eper.fiatforum.com/eper/navi...3&WINDOW_ID=1&SGRP_COD=27&SGS_COD=0&DRW_NUM=1

and this is a bit out of date newer gps come with a full size rear arch liner

http://eper.fiatforum.com/eper/navi...INT_MODE=0&EPER_CAT=SP&WINDOW_ID=1&GUI_LANG=3

Yeah I wasn't sure wether or not that the black plastic strip comes with a rear bumper or if its a separate part as I believe it will need replacing as it has a crack on it however still seems fairly rigid, the passenger side wheel arch liner will need replacing as when my dad tried to help by snapping the broken part of the bumper off it took a part of the arch liner with it.

The quote I have got so far from a local place which is £113 for the bumper, £216 for the repair and the painting, obviously now I have looked and noticed the wheel arch liner needs replacing and now the black plastic strip (if they won't put the bumper on in its current state)

Does anyone know roughly how long this job should take if I say drop it off first thing in the morning, I am hoping its within a day but my dad seems to think it takes at least three to allow time for the painting.

providing there is no body damage i cant see why you cant get them to order a bumper in and spray it up prior to dropping your car off unless its a colour that need blending or matching to the rest of the car (only the bodyshop can really clear that up)

then the bumper fitment shouldn;t take more than an hour perhaps 2 if they need to replace that black strip

Okay thanks everyone for the advice/help. I am going to ring the garage in the morning and ask if they will order the parts needed and spray where needed. So that I can drop it off the following morning and just have them fitted, seen as its my first car I havent even had it 12 hours before my first accident although I swear I am a good driver. I would like it back ASAP.

Well I've been out this morning the Just Car Clinic quoted £573 for the entire job (including vat + labour) another garage said that they will get back to me with some prices the last said if I can get hold of the parts required I could save a lot and they dont mind fitting and spraying them for me.

Back